It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

WebSphere configuration question

T M (8876187143) | asked Jul 31 '12, 4:13 p.m.

RTC 4.0 on Windows 2008 server

Should I have a single WAS profile and access both jts and ccm at port 9443 or with two profiles (one for jts and the other for ccm) and access jts at 9443 and ccm at 9444? Will it make any performance improvement by having two profiles?

Thanks!

Comments
Karl Weinert commented Aug 01 '12, 12:06 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

It might be worth posting this question on the WebSphere forum on dev works as well http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/forums/forum.jspa?forumID=266

2 answers

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33645) | answered Aug 01 '12, 5:50 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
I would suggest reading this article for planning: https://jazz.net/library/article/831

If you are upgrading you have to use the ports you use today. If you are installing fresh, I would suggest to setup IHS as proxy to have a common public URI (the one at the proxy). In this case the port number and the profile you install to does not matter, because the applications don't have it in the public URI. If you don't you have to stay with different ports unless you do a server rename, which is limited to a few scenarios today.

I am not sure if you would see performance differences.

Comments
Frank Ning commented Aug 01 '12, 8:42 a.m.

Hi Ralph,

Do you see the benefit of using different app servers for JTS and CCM on the same machine (vertical scaling)? Based on rational recommendation, distributed topology has better performance. I am not sure if using different Java VMs (different WAS servers) on the same machine can also provide some obvious performance improvement? (This may be related to what "T M" asked: different profiles certainly need different was servers:-))

Ralph Schoon commented Aug 01 '12, 9:20 a.m.

Frank, I have never measured it. I was usually doing it to have different "virtual hosts" so that I could, in theory, move the applications to other machines later. However, with the proxy, this is solved and it is always possible. Two profiles on one machine will have a higher RAM footprint, or suffer from fewer RAM as far as I can tell, because both use a different VM.

permanent link
T M (8876187143) | answered Aug 01 '12, 11:40 a.m.

A profile defines the JVM and memory settings for an application.  Deploying to different profiles ensures that each application is getting the appropriate amount of memory allocated to it.  So sharing a WAS profile for two apps (jts and ccm) is not recommended.

Any comment?

Comments
Ralph Schoon commented Aug 01 '12, 11:56 a.m.

As long as you have enough resources on the machine to be able to run two profiles....

Frank Ning commented Aug 01 '12, 12:21 p.m.

The JVM used by applications is not at profile level but server level as I understand. So one can use two servers within a profile. Ideally distributed topology can be used across machines.

Ralph Schoon commented Aug 01 '12, 12:35 p.m. | edited Aug 01 '12, 12:35 p.m.

Frank, there are differences between WAS and WAS ND. With WAS, I believe I recently learned, there will be one VM per profile. At least I could see n java processes for n profiles running. (We did stuff like that for the CLM2011 upgrade workshop.)

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.