It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

CLM Server Won't Start on Linux Workstation

Karen Steele (1.2k4139148) | asked Jul 23 '12, 3:47 p.m.
edited Jul 23 '12, 4:20 p.m. by Jared Burns (4.5k29)
I have installed CLM 3011 on a Linux workstation.  The installation proceeded correctly and I subsequently installed the client for the same version thru installation manager.

When attempting to start the CLM Server, using any of the following methods (a) double click the server.startup file and "run" and also by clicking on the server start up short cut that was placed in my applications directory after installation.

The server does not start up ... I have waited and there are no files being created indicating that the server is starting.  

Can somebody assist ?

Comments
Karl Weinert commented Jul 23 '12, 3:52 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

try running it from a shell and see if returns anything there. /opt/IBM/JazzTeamServer/server/server.startup The other issues I have seen have been related to memory so How much memory do you have on this system?

3 answers

permanent link
Karen Steele (1.2k4139148) | answered Jul 23 '12, 4:04 p.m.
I have 8GB of memory ... I think I have it going .... took forever though and with no "dialogue" to see its doing something very frustrating.

So next question is there a way to make it a service on Linux .. or does it just need to be put in "start up"

permanent link
Karl Weinert (2.0k52736) | answered Jul 23 '12, 4:58 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
It does take a while especial the first time it runs because it has to deploy all the war files.
I usually tail the catalina.log file to keep an eye on the status.
tail -f /opt/IBM/JazzTeamServer/server/tomcat/logs/catalina.log
You will see the line: "INFO: Server startup in 12345 ms" once it is started.

As far as running it as a service I don't know of any specific RTC documentation for Linux but from my experience creating a service isn't very difficult.

I used this example to set it up on my system and it seems to be working without any issues.
http://www.spaceprogram.com/knowledge/tomcat_init_d.html
(I had to modify it to point to the server.startup and server.shutdown files and I remove the JAVA_HOME variable since that gets set through one of the other scripts during the startup process)

Keep in mind I am on a test system so I don't really monitor for any issues that may be caused by using this method.

permanent link
Karl Weinert (2.0k52736) | answered Jul 23 '12, 5:15 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Karen,

I found one possible issue with starting as a service.

The RTC info center on Special instructions for UNIX systems mentions this:
init.d invokes the startup scripts with the maximum number of file descriptors set to 1024 instead of the system default value that is set in /etc/security/limits.conf (65536).

It is talking about WebSphere but it looks like it may affect all processes start from init.d

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.