It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How to estimate how long it will take to automate tests?

Der M (6121418) | asked Jul 13 '12, 10:58 a.m.

I have been asked for metrics, figures etc on how long it takes to automate tests and how to evaluate the test automation effort.  I know, I know.  A piece of string is LONG.  How long???

I am more looking for documents that help estimate based on previous experience, complexity, preparedness.  GATNER reports etc would be great too.  I am interested in Functional Tests at the moment but have offered a performance example below.

I have a fair bit of automation experience and know it is hard to provide concrete estimates.  I am starting out from scratch with RFT and have not used it in the past so there is a learning curve.

When asked I provided an example from the past.  I attempted to automated 13 load / stress tests within 2 months.  Managed to get 11 running reliably, providing readable results / metrics and complete reuseability through data driven testing.  I know is sounds like a long time, but previously it had taken 3 guys a month to do the same tests using a different product.  This I felt was a starting bench mark, but not functional automation testing.

One answer

permanent link
Pramod Chandoria (2.1k11220) | answered Jul 14 '12, 6:33 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
I think the question you asked is more relevant to the 'probationer' to answer it.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.