It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

RQM Copy Util: What is and migration is taking a very long time

Anthony Paul (7021821) | asked Mar 07 '13, 8:49 a.m.
edited Mar 07 '13, 8:56 a.m.
 I have been testing the RQM Copy Utility on my test machine which hosts two RQM Servers hosted on tomcat.

RQM is version 4.0

I have created a project on the first server and populated it with Test Cases, Test Scripts, Test Plans, Test Execution Records, added some attachments etc

I then create a project on the second server with the same project properties, i.e catergory values, attributes, process roles etc.

When I run the Copy Util command it first sits on the line:
INFO: Reading feed for artifact type: attachment
for about 10 mins. Previous to this when I first started testing the copy util with a few Test Cases it was almost instantaneous.

After it passes that it gets to:
INFO: Starting: attachment

and has gone up to:
INFO: Starting: attachment 
and counting and has taken around 2 hours to get there.
Previous to this it would take about 15 to 20 mins to do the migration on the same RQM Project but with 4 or 5 fewer Test Artefacts and the value would go up to maybe 70,000.

Can anyone tell me what its doing and why its taking so long? And why is this attachment number getting bigger. 

The Test Setup is running an i7 Sandy Core Processor, 8GB Ram, and a SSD hard drive
Have around 7 Test Cases, 7 Test Scripts, 1 Test Plan, 4 Test Case Execution Records & 10 Test Case Results. 
So a pretty high end system and not much test data. 


Accepted answer

permanent link
Paul Slauenwhite (8.4k12) | answered Mar 07 '13, 10:39 a.m.
edited Mar 07 '13, 10:39 a.m.
Sounds like a defect.

Could you be copying the attachments to the same server/project area?

Can you confirm the actual number of attachments in the source and destination project areas (see

Also, can you post your RQM Copy Utility command?
Anthony Paul selected this answer as the correct answer

Anthony Paul commented Mar 11 '13, 8:46 a.m.

 So when I first started trialling the migration tool, I performed the migration between 2 RQM projects on the same RQM Server. Could this have caused the issue.

In total I think there are about 7 - 10 attachments.

Also If I create a new RQM Project on this server and start the migration the attachment number goes into the thousands even though there are no attachments.

I have now created a new RQM server and haven't hit this issue. So this does look like a bug. 

Anthony Paul commented Mar 11 '13, 8:50 a.m.

 Also the command I run is:

java -jar RQMCopyUtility.jar -s=https://<Hostname>:9443/qm/service/<ProjectName> -us=<UserName> -pws=<Password> -d=https://myhost2:9443/qm/service/<ProjectName> -ud=<UserName> -pwd=<Password> -l=importlog.txt <o:p> </o:p>

Paul Slauenwhite commented Mar 12 '13, 6:43 a.m.

I would agree that this sounds like a defect.  Please open a defect.

Anthony Paul commented Mar 13 '13, 6:47 a.m.

 I have just verified this, created a new Server (tomcat) and created two Projects. With no attachments I ran the Copy Utility and it worked fine, as soon as I added an attachment on the source project and reran the Utility, on every run it would double the amount of attachments copied. 

One other answer

permanent link
Paul Slauenwhite (8.4k12) | answered Mar 13 '13, 11:12 a.m.
Please open a defect.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.