It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Pending Changes, flow one stream to another, duplicate components

Hooch Holly (7442024) | asked Jul 12 '12, 3:13 p.m.
edited Jul 12 '12, 5:55 p.m. by David Olsen (5237)

I have 3 streams for a project.   Dev, Test, and Release.     Each stream has 3 components,  DB, UI, JAVA.

The code has been developed in Dev and now I want to flow it to Test, so I loaded the Dev Repository, and then changed the flow target to Test.

The pending changes view now has 6 components listed.  DB, DB, UI, UI, JAVA, JAVA.   Why does it not know that 'DB' & 'DB' are one in the same?  

How can I tell it to consolidate?

2 answers

permanent link
David Olsen (5237) | answered Jul 12 '12, 5:53 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Are DB and DB really the same component?  Or are they different components that have the same name?  There are several ways to test that.  One easy way to test is to right click on each of DB components in your pending changes view and select "Open".  If opening the second one reuses the same editor window, then they are the same component.  If two different editor windows are opened, then they are different components with the same name.

If the same component is showing up twice, that sounds like a bug in RTC.  You should file a defect.

If they are two different components with the same name, then you need to fix all three streams to use the same components.  The components that you don't want to keep should be renamed and their visibility should be changed so it becomes difficult to use them by mistake.

-- David Olsen, IBM Rational, Jazz Process Team

Comments
Hooch Holly commented Jul 13 '12, 8:52 a.m. | edited Jul 13 '12, 10:40 a.m.

Awesome, thanks.  Yes, they are different components with the same name.

I will study up on using the same component in 3 streams.  I did not know that was possible.

Arne Bister commented Jul 13 '12, 12:23 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Holly, please accept answer if it indeed answered your question so it is marked correctly in the forum. As for same component in different streams, you can also have different baselines of the same component in each stream. Remember to "add" rather than use "new" button in stream.

permanent link
Arne Bister (2.6k12832) | answered Jul 12 '12, 5:43 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi,

to make sure you are looking at the selfsame components and not just components which are named the same, please use the SCM command line as follows:

On a client which has scmtools installed, change to ...\TeamConcert\scmtools\eclipse directory.
Login with
>scm -n jazz -r https://<myserver>:9943/ccm -u <user> -P <password>
and issue
>scm -u y -a n list components Dev@jazz
>scm -u y -a n list components Test@jazz

Are the UUIDs for the components with same name identical? If they are not, then the components are different.
Only if this is the case, one way of resolving it would be:
- Create a workspace from the Test stream
- In the workspace, remove the component
- Deliver the component removal to the Test stream
- Open the Test stream and use the "add" button next to its components entries to add component from Dev stream.

If you point a Dev workspace to the Test stream, it should show outgoing changes for the component once further changes have been made in Dev.

Do not follow this procedure if you already have different changes in both components of the same name. In that case, you need to manually merge the component content into one of the components (e.g. Dev workspace), then follow above procedure to keep the merged component and get rid of its evil twin.

If this answers your question, please mark it as accepted.

- Arne

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.