It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Is there a way to set a selector, or the value for a selector variable, during the execution of a step?

Igor Lemes (111812) | asked Jul 10 '12, 4:47 p.m.
While executing a project's step, can I define a new seletor to execute the same step? Or can i use the values of some environment variables for this execution on the selector variables?
Couldn't find reference on any dot comand for this or anything like that.

Build Forge Version: 7.1.3.2

Thanks

2 answers

permanent link
Ray Green (2112) | answered Jul 11 '12, 11:20 a.m.

If I understand your question correctly, what you asking is a standard feature in Build Forge.

The .bset command is used to change the selector during step execution.

The process is well documented in the Build Forge Information Center.
Be sure to read it carefully.

Changing variable values during step execution
http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/bldforge/v7r1m3/topic/com.ibm.rational
.buildforge.doc/topics/env_task_changing_variable_values_during_execution_t.html?resultof=%22%2e%62%73%65%74%22%20%22%62%73%65%74%22%20

.bset command
http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/bldforge/v7r1m3/topic/com.ibm.rational.buildforge.doc/topics/dotcmd_bset.html?resultof=%22%2e%62%73%65%74%22%20%22%62%73%65%74%22%20

Comments
Bruce Albrecht commented Jul 11 '12, 12:04 p.m.

The .bset command changes the selector for subsequent steps, so you can't change the server that the current step is running on.

permanent link
Ray Green (2112) | answered Jul 11 '12, 12:20 p.m.
Thanks Bruce, but I understand that.  That's why I said to read "very carefully" to understand that changes made using .bset take effect in the step after the step where .bset is used.

Igor would need to create a .bset step before the step that he wishes to execute with the new selector.
If this is NOT what he can do then, yes, he can't do exactly what he stated in the question.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.