It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Howto upgrade a process template from v3 to v4?

Fabian Ehls (1157) | asked Jul 12 '12, 5:41 a.m.
edited Jul 12 '12, 11:56 a.m. by David Olsen (5237)
 Hello,

I have an exported process template that i used with v3. Now I want to use this template in a v4 Environment.

The import dialog tells me that i need to upgrade the database of a v3 server, export, and then import to v4. But in this new environment there will be no access to v3 and it is not an option to install it. The only help would be to install a v3 extra for this task on a local machine. Since i want to avoid this, my question is how i can convert my process template by hand from v3 to v4. Is changing a few parts sufficient or are there bigger, major, changes to the syntax which make this task impossible?

BR

Fabian

3 answers

permanent link
Arne Bister (2.6k12832) | answered Jul 13 '12, 6:51 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
I am facing the same situation. Actually I will set up a 3.0.1. server, import the process template, upgrade and export again. To verify that process templates have changed between 3.0 and 4.0, you could "export" a standard template such as SCRUM by copy&pasting its process configuration XML and diff the two versions. I doubt that migrating the process template is as easy as replacing a version number in the XML. Wish it were, though.

permanent link
sam detweiler (12.5k6195201) | answered Jul 14 '12, 4:45 p.m.
well, there are new features in the 4.0 process XML, at least email templates..

so, I would guess (we still have to do this ourselves)

get the two base scrum template process sources, xmldiff, (3.0 and 4.0)

apply that dif (xmlpatch) to the v3 scrum source, to make sure you got the 4.0 source..

then dif your template against the 3.0 base to get ITS diff..

then apply your diff onto the 4.0 template.
and apply the 4.0 delta onto your custom 3.0 template,
and compare the two constructed 4.0+your stuff templates

permanent link
Fabian Ehls (1157) | answered Jul 18 '12, 5:19 a.m.
Ok, finally i did a v3 install and upgraded from there. That was more a pragmatic decision. For the next major release it would be helpful to be able to upgrade process template via command line tool etc.

I made an enhancement for that need:

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.