It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Why does the web-based rich client editor in RRC sometimes behave oddly? e.g. not allowing newlines.

Andrew Codrington (17733135) | asked Jul 04 '12, 9:09 a.m.
We've seen this intermittently. I can't reproduce at will, but it has happened to me and a number of other users.

After creating a new text format artifact in RRC 3.0.1.2 the user is able to type normally in the body but can't hit Enter to get a newline. There have been other situations where indents and other formatting don't work.

I've searched for known defects in 3.0.1.2 and even ended up on the CKEditor site with no joy.

If someone knows how to avoid this situation, or any relevant workarounds it would be very helpful. So many things in RRC work very well, but this erodes users' confidence.

2 answers

permanent link
Renata Alchorne (1) | answered Jul 06 '12, 4:06 p.m.

Andrew,

I'm working with the same version of RRC and, believe(!), it happened with me yesterday. I don't know why it happens but I pressed the "Enter" key and the cursor went to the page top or didn't allow new lines.

Other problems that I have:

- When I copy some text from Word, for example, and paste on RRC the text is not faithful. So I have to fix the text format manually. But in most cases this mechanism doesn't work. I select the text and click on the menu to change the format and RRC doesn't obey.

The "alternative" for it is copy the text on notepad (to clean formatting) and after copy on RRC. So the menu icons work.

Other "alternative" for it is document import and so adjust details that weren't faithful.

permanent link
Robin Bater (3.4k47) | answered Jul 12 '12, 11:10 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
When copying and pasting from Word I would be very careful as (hidden) extra stuff is included in the copy which can cause problems. I have seen problems on various web sites with Word copy and paste. I would suggest if at all possible to paste into notepad to remove the formatting before including into RRC.

In RRC V4, some work has been done to try and strip off some of this extra stuff during copy and paste, also word import from a file works better than copy and paste.

Finally, new versions of CKeditor are also being adopted, for example:

https://jazz.net/jazz03/web/projects/Requirements%20Management#action=com.ibm.team.workitem.viewWorkItem&id=61215

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.