It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Changes delivered to a code stream appear in 'Outgoing' in the stream workspace on replacing the stream component... is this a normal RTC behaviour?

Mangirish Wagle (534) | asked Jun 28 '12, 8:02 a.m.
Here is what I do:-
1) I have 2 workspaces created from a RTC code stream, say 'Jazz Workspace1'  and 'Jazz Workspace2' from 'Jazz Stream'.
2) I deliver 2 code changes, say 'Change A' and 'Change B' to Jazz Stream in stream component, say 'Cmp', using Jazz Workspace1.
3) Then I replace component Cmp in Jazz Stream with the one in Jazz Workspace2.
4) Later when I refresh Jazz Workspace1, I get Change A and Change B in 'Outgoing' for Cmp in Jazz Workspace1.

My Question: Is the above a correct behavior of RTC?

Accepted answer

permanent link
Arne Bister (2.6k12832) | answered Jun 28 '12, 8:30 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Yes.

From what you describe you replace Cmp in the Stream with a baseline that does NOT have Change A and Change B. Since Change A and Change B are part of the Cmp component history in Workspace1, they now are shown as outgoing with respect to the Stream again.

Please look at the multi stream article for basic behavior and this article for new features regarding flowing changes in RTC 3.0.1
There is a good overview over the SCM architecture in the SCM FAQ.

If this answer is helpful, please mark it as accepted.

- Arne
Mangirish Wagle selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Mangirish Wagle commented Jun 29 '12, 12:28 a.m.

Arne, thanks indeed for the answer. It is helpful. Adding to the above, If I had another stream, say 'Jazz Stream 2' which also has the 'Cmp' component and its workspace 'Jazz stream 2 workspace', and if I had to replace Cmp in Jazz Stream with that in Jazz stream 2 workspace, the behavior would be the same... Am I right?

Arne Bister commented Jun 29 '12, 2:49 a.m. | edited Jun 29 '12, 2:49 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Yes, you are right. It might help to consider the fact that stream and repository workspace are identical objects (derived from the same class). The only difference is that for streams a flag is set that prohibits direct loading of its content to disk.

• Arne

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.