It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Build forge and MS SQL Server 2008 R2 - unable to open a connection to specified information

Marc Towersap (481711) | asked Jun 27 '12, 7:59 p.m.
edited Jun 28 '12, 1:17 p.m.
I'm trying to get Build Forge 7.1.3 with MS SQL Server 2008 R2 Standard.  The docs say it's supported.  I created the database build, created the user build per the instructions, downloaded sql jdbc version 3 and installed it, set up my system DSN (using the build username/password, tested it, it could connect), logged in as build using MS SQL Server management studio, so the username/password can connect (SQL Server can connect via both Windows and SQL Server authentication, otherwise the connection fails).  DSN works, username works, jdbc version is there.  SQL Native Client came with R2 (I tried downloading it from MS, install says a newer version is there, version 10.50.1600.1.  Yet when I fill out all the information (database host copy/pasted from SQL Server Management studio, port number (validated by both the log file and tcp properties (yes it's enabled), database exists (DSN uses it, it's default database for the build user). dbo is the schema (found via build user's user mappings).  DSN is build (same name as database, all lowercase).  Good password (I changed it to a bad password, login failed as expected, replaced with correct password, it starts to work when I test connection.

I can see it 'start engine test', looks like it's running through environment variables, then craps out, with Engine [ERROR]:: Unable to open a connection to specified information.

I've checked and rechecked the documentation.  I've tried on two different servers.  I get the same error.  What is wrong?  How can I fix this?

Note I also tried my 'build' system DSN logging in as myself (windows NT authentication), which I believe the documentation says (I think it's wrong, DSN shouldn't run as person who logged in, it should run as the 'build' user, but instructions don't tell you to do that.  Not that it matters for this error, I still fail with the same error.

One answer

permanent link
Marc Towersap (481711) | answered Jun 28 '12, 1:22 p.m.
Ah, doh!  I know the problem.  It's the 32 vs. 64 bit DSN's.  I must have used control panel -> administrative tools -> Data source (ODBC), instead of %windir%\syswow64\odbcad32.exe.

I deleted the admin tools/Data source's build system DSN, then re-did it in the odbcad32.exe's, and it worked!

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.