It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Why are my Test Data Column's not getting populated when running a Manual Test Script

Frank Sullivan (5646) | asked Jun 20 '12, 7:29 p.m.
edited Jun 20 '12, 7:44 p.m.

Users are experiencing an issue when trying to run a manual test script, where after they map the column's from the Test Data and run the Script, none of the data is populating the mapped column's.

When you go to run the test script, all it shows is the column headers and as you skip through the Manual Steps, it never populates them with the data from the Test Data. I have verified that the test data is not corrupt. Also, when I go to the Test Data in RQM I can see every entry and they are in the correct columns in the Data Record.

Edit: After further searhing, the problem is similar to this one but it was not answerd

https://jazz.net/forum/questions/58438/insert-test-data-column-doesnt-populate-test-script

4 answers

permanent link
Frank Sullivan (5646) | answered Jun 25 '12, 12:38 p.m.

I submitted a support request through IBM and this has been resolved.

The issue was 3.0.1 and IE8 problem. Apparently the fix for this is in 3.0.1.1

Comments
Pramod Chandoria commented Jun 25 '12, 12:40 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Great, thanks for updating the status in forum

permanent link
Pramod Chandoria (2.1k11220) | answered Jun 21 '12, 4:28 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi Frank,
There could be multiple reasons for it.
Has Test data been modified after creating script?
Are you running test using Apply All?

Could you try adding one column more time and see if that also does not replace datapool value.
If it works correctly then I would guess test data has been change since it was created. Re-adding the datapool column should help.

Comments
Frank Sullivan commented Jun 21 '12, 11:29 a.m.

I have tried uploading an entire set of new test data, creating a brand new test scripts and adding column by column to the test script with no luck. One of the test scripts is actually working properly, so I took that .csv file and created a brand new test script and it too did not work.

I'm not sure I know what the Apply All function is that you referred to

permanent link
Pramod Chandoria (2.1k11220) | answered Jun 21 '12, 12:20 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Frank,
what is the number of rows in .csv file, Are to able to view the data correctly in Test Data editor.
A valid csv format file for test data purpose should look something like  this

----------------------------------------
NAME:String, CITY:String
Pramod, Udaipur
Vaibhav, Lakhnow
--------------------------------------

Comments
Frank Sullivan commented Jun 21 '12, 12:32 p.m.

The one we are currently testing has 23 rows. Infact when you run the test script, it even recognizes that there is 23 rows. The data on the other hand just doesn't appear as you go through the steps.

The Test Data does show up correctly when viewing through RQM.

Pramod Chandoria commented Jun 21 '12, 12:38 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Can you share sample csv file you are using if it does not contain any confidential data. What is the version of RQM you are using

Frank Sullivan commented Jun 21 '12, 1:02 p.m.

We are using RQM 3.0.1

Here is a snippit SI no:String,Rule#:String,Field Referenced:String,Edit Rule Description:String,Line Number:String,Value to Enter:String,Expected Result:String,Expected Error message:String 1,3809.1,form_year,Must be 4 digits,Top Left,20011,Error message displayed,Must be 4 digits. 2,3809.1,form_year,Must be 4 digits,Top Left,11,Error message displayed,Must be 4 digits. 3,3809.1,form_year,Must be 4 digits,Top Left,X,Error message displayed,Must be 4 digits.

Frank Sullivan commented Jun 21 '12, 1:40 p.m.

I just went ahead and made a brand new .csv file with dummy headers and data.

entry:String,rule:String,name:String,random:String,expected:String 1,11,Frank,asdfasdf,Fail 2,22,Sam,234324,Pass 3,33,Todd,dfgdfg,Fail 4,44,Lebron,btybtb,Pass 5,55,Samantha,trytry,Fail 6,66,Melanie,werweq,Pass 7,77,John,qwebfrge,Fail 8,88,Matt,fweferkl,Pass 9,99,Dwight,opwef,Fail 10,1010,Chris,iofjwef,Pass

This did not work either

Pramod Chandoria commented Jun 21 '12, 2:07 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Frank, Are you also using any keyworkd in the script?

Frank Sullivan commented Jun 21 '12, 2:58 p.m.

Nope, no keyword's

showing 5 of 6 show 1 more comments

permanent link
Pramod Chandoria (2.1k11220) | answered Jun 23 '12, 9:54 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Frank I am not able to reproduce your issue in my environment. I would advice to work with IBM Support to report this issue so they can collect more information

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.