It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

What is the difference between "resolves/resolved by" and "tracks/contributes to" link type in RTC 4.0?

Guido Schneider (3.4k1486115) | asked Jun 10 '12, 9:28 a.m.
In RTC 4.0 there was an new link type introduced to support crossproject reports. This link type is called "tracks/contributes to".

In RTC 3.0.1 there was already a link type (and is still available in RTC4.0) calles "resolves/resolved by".

This two linktypes are similar in meaning. Both are RTC internaly linking work items together.

What are the technical and detailed differences between this two linktypes? What is not possible with which type but with the other.
Is there a possibility to migrate from "resolves/resolved by" to "tracks/contributes to" if this new link type provides more functionality? Today we are using the "resolves/resolved by" for highlevel planitem (e.g. themes) linked to epics/stories to be able to track the implementation of this themes (synonym for requirements/features).

2 answers

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Jun 10 '12, 4:47 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

The contributes-to link type has planning semantics.  In particular, in a Project Schedule plan, the estimated cost/time of a work item is added to the accumulated time of the work item that it contributes to.  The "resolves" link type does not have this semantics.

Comments
Guido Schneider commented Jun 11 '12, 12:36 p.m.

Three additional questions: - Is there a way to migrate existing "resolves" links into this new "contributes-to" links after upgrading to 4.0 to get this new functionality? - are also the complexity/estimation/remaining work added (in a SCRUM project)? - The "contribute-to" link is a n:n relation, unlike parent-child which is a 1:n. Does this means the accumulated time will be accumulated over each of this link, so I may have them multiple time accumulated?

Der M commented Oct 03 '12, 6:16 a.m.

Wow I didn't know there were these differences in link types.

Is there a list anywhere of all link types for 4.0 and how they hang together? 

Yesterday I was making a development plan from requirements (for use within a test plan) and found that all the items created were Project Change Requests of link type Implements Requirement.  I would have thought that these should really be development TASKS not Change Requests.  I am using the Traditional Project setup.

Guido Schneider commented Oct 04 '12, 4:59 p.m.

This makes sense. From the requirement point of view you are doing a IMPLEMENTATION REQUEST. So you get a link pair "Implemented by/Implements". Because the Implementation of a requirement is a CHANGE, the Implementation Request is a CHANGE REQUEST. Such a CR you will break down into tasks and this tasks you will implement. Normally you are not working on the CR directly.

BTW: I do not know a detailed list about all link types.

permanent link
Dimitrios Dentsas (7348) | answered Apr 23 '13, 10:40 a.m.
Hi all,
we are also currently trying to figure out which link types are the best to be used. So also the functionality behind "blocks", "depends on",  "duplicate" and "affects" would be very interesting. Is there some kind of overview list of all link types and their associated functionality?

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.