It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

DM 4.0 M8: Anybody with experience in deploying profiles onto DM server?

Petter von Dolwitz (561812) | asked Jun 05 '12, 10:04 a.m.
Hi,

I've followed the tutorial "Deploying profiles" to load a custom UML profile onto the DM server, i.e built an update site with the profile and stored it in <Server_install_dir>/server/conf/dm/sites together with a provision profile stored in <Server_install_dir>/server/conf/dm/provision_profiles. When navigating to https://<host>:<port>/dm/provision i get the stack trace below. I've turned on debug but I don't get any further hints. Anyone that can lead me in the right direction here?

CRMPB0303I The profile installation from the file:dm/sites/act-xyz-update-site URL started at Tue Jun 05 13:56:05 CEST 2012.

CRMPB0300I The Design Management Server is installing the se.sellegi.act.xyz.profile.feature_1.4.0.vqualifier feature.
CRMPB0288E The se.sellegi.act.xyz.profile.feature profile feature could not be installed from the file:dm/sites/act-xyz-update-site update site that is referenced in the file:/opt/IBM/JazzTeamServer_DMM8/server/conf/dm/provision_profiles/act-xyz-profile.ini profile file.
com.ibm.xtools.rmps.repository.provision.ProvisionException: CRMPB0302E The Design Management Server could not install the se.sellegi.act.xyz.profile.feature_1.4.0.vqualifier feature during the provisioning process. 
at com.ibm.team.repository.provision.internal.ProvisionService.installFeature(ProvisionService.java:520)
at com.ibm.team.repository.provision.internal.ProvisionService.installFromProfiles(ProvisionService.java:788)
at com.ibm.team.repository.provision.internal.ProvisionService.installFromProfiles(ProvisionService.java:755)
at com.ibm.team.repository.provision.internal.ProvisionFrontService.invokeProvisioning(ProvisionFrontService.java:137)
at com.ibm.team.repository.provision.internal.ProvisionFrontService.doGet(ProvisionFrontService.java:48)

Accepted answer

permanent link
Tao Weng (7824) | answered Jun 08 '12, 10:15 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi Petter,

I just posted a tutorial RSASystemProfileDeploymentTutorial "https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Main/DeployUserSystemProfile"
1) Please follow the tutorial with your server to see if you can get it working. Use the models attached with the tutorial.
2) Then, try import your profile (ACT) and instance model to see if you can get it working.
3) Then, try upload scenario. Note: For Upload scenario, you will need to do the following.
    -from instance project's configuration space, add dependency to "RSA System Domains (Version 8.5)" snapshot
    -make instance project area DM managed
    -Add domains (RSA UML Domain, RSA Sketcher Domain etc.)

Please give a try and let me know. Thanks. 
Petter von Dolwitz selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Tao Weng commented Jun 08 '12, 10:21 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Main/DeployUserSystemProfile

9 other answers

permanent link
Tao Weng (7824) | answered Jun 05 '12, 3:08 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Here is how to do it in 4.0. We will update our online documentation shortly.
(Note: You need to use Firefox, not IE. please refer to workitem 28719: Failing to import UML profiles using IE. The issue is fixed in M9, but not in M8)

1) Go to "Domains" project area, select Import->Profile Import
Import Profiles web page shows up.

2) From "Import Profiles" web page, select Add
Add your profile jar files

3) Select Import button to start the import
Wait for import to complete. It may take few minutes (Note, you may hit workitem 28073: Profile/Library import status is inaccurate), be patient.

4) Navigate to "Domains" project area's Designs->Explorer

5) Select Domains viewpoint.
Verify that the newly imported profiles are listed.

6) Create a new snapshot of "Domains" project area named domainsSnapshot1

7) Create your own instance project area named Project1

8) Go to Project1

9) Create a configuration space

10) Add dependency to domainsSnapshot1 from Project1 configuration space. (Open current configuration. Go to Dependencies tab. Add a dependency to domainsSnapshot1. Save.)

11) Create Import definition and import your instance models into Project1

The instance models will reference profiles in "Domains" project area.

Please let me know if you need further clarification....

permanent link
Chad Beery (16611) | answered Jun 05 '12, 5:18 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
I have opened work item 30680 to track the documentation updates that are required. Thank you.

permanent link
Petter von Dolwitz (561812) | answered Jun 07 '12, 5:22 a.m.
Thanks for your reply Tao,

I've followed the steps in your list and this obviously works much better. However, there seem to be one more thing to iron out.

The Import Status page shows me that the import completed with warnings. The warning tells me "Unset Path Map Varaibles" followed by the name of my pathmap. I deviated from your numbered list at item 11 where I instead used the "Upload To Server" feature in the RSA Client extension.

The plugin holding the profile (that I imported to DM) has the following statement in its plugin.xml

<extension id="ACT UMLProfiles" name="ACT UMLProfiles" point="org.eclipse.gmf.runtime.emf.core.Pathmaps">
      <pathmap name="ACT" plugin="se.sellegi.act.xyz.profile" path="profiles"/>
</extension>

I would have assumed the DM picked up the pathmap from there.

The result seems to be that when I upload an UML project to the DM server the UML elements does not get their stereotypes (defined in the imported profile) applied. Can you help me resolve this one as well?

permanent link
Tao Weng (7824) | answered Jun 07 '12, 3:18 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Hi Petter,

Please try to verify that you have project dependency set up properly. After importing profiles into "Domains" project area, you need to create a snapshot of "Domains" project area, and your instance project area needs to have dependency to that snapshot. Step 6-10

If you have this done properly, please try to execute import scenario (instead of Upload scenario) to see if your problem is specific to Upload....

In the meantime, I will try to create a Viewlet tutorial with the steps and will post that viewlet here soon.

permanent link
Petter von Dolwitz (561812) | answered Jun 08 '12, 9:40 a.m.
Hi Tao,

I've tried importing through an import engine now and I get the very same warning about unset pathmap variable. At the import definition page I can see that there is a section dealing with these varaibles but I have no clue on how to assign a proper value to the missing value. It tells me

"The path map with variable 'ACT' must refer to a declared project." Can you give me a hint on in which form a valid value can be? Something I can fetch from the plugin.xml file in my profile project?

permanent link
Petter von Dolwitz (561812) | answered Jun 11 '12, 11:17 a.m.
Hi Tao,

thanks for the tutorial! I've tried with your profile and your attached model and it works just fine here. I noticed one step that I made different from you and it was the creation of configuration space. I saw that you just clicked save on this page which made the radio button move from "Create new space for this project area" to "Select an existing space" with the current project area pre-selected. In my previous attempts I created a new space by giving it a name.

Unfortunately this was not causing the problem. When I try again with our own profile and model I get the same issue when importing the model.

The profile is fairly large and has been released several times. I think we started working on it using RSA 7.5. Do you think that it could be a compatibility issue with this "older" profile?

I'll try again tomorrow to make a new profile from scratch here to see if I can reproduce the problem with a simpler, newly created, profile.

permanent link
Tao Weng (7824) | answered Jun 11 '12, 1:31 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi Petter,

I investigated the issue a little bit more closely and believe that the issue may be caused by different profile tooling registration.
In your case, you use the following format to register your profile tooling plugin
<extension id="ACT UMLProfiles" name="ACT UMLProfiles"  point="org.eclipse.gmf.runtime.emf.core.Pathmaps">

<pathmap name="ACT" plugin="se.sellegi.act.xyz.profile" path="profiles"/>

</extension>

However, the profile tooling jar in my example, the profile tooling plugin is registered using the following way
 <extension
         id="Profile UMLProfiles"
         name="Profile UMLProfiles"
         point="org.eclipse.gmf.runtime.emf.core.Pathmaps">
      <pathmap
            name="PROFILE"
            plugin="ProfileTooling"
            path="profiles">
      </pathmap>
   </extension>
   <extension
         id="Profile UMLProfiles"
         name="Profile UMLProfiles"
         point="com.ibm.xtools.uml.msl.UMLProfiles">
      <UMLProfile
            name="Profile"
            path="pathmap://PROFILE/Profile.epx"
            visible="true"
            required="false"
            id="ProfileTooling.Profile">
      </UMLProfile>
       <UMLProfile
            name="Profile0"
            path="pathmap://PROFILE/Profile0.epx"
            visible="true"
            required="false"
            id="ProfileTooling.Profile0">
      </UMLProfile>
   </extension>
Do you have com.ibm.xtools.uml.msl.UMLProfiles extension piece in your profile tooling plugin?

permanent link
Petter von Dolwitz (561812) | answered Jun 12 '12, 3:06 a.m.
edited Jun 12 '12, 3:08 a.m.
Hi Tao,

yes we have the com.ibm.xtools.uml.msl.UMLProfiles extension point as well. I left that out in my previous post. Silly me :-(

I'll see if I can manage to put a small example together that triggers the issue.

permanent link
Petter von Dolwitz (561812) | answered Jun 14 '12, 2:51 p.m.
Hi again,

I eventually got this to work. God knows what the problem was. After several, several attempts the model was finally  imported without warnings.

Thanks for your suport!

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.