It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Spaces in IDs for custom workitem attributes

Patrick Wagstrom (17266) | asked May 03 '12, 1:29 p.m.
I noticed a rather odd inconsistency in RTC. When I create a new custom work item attribute from the web client and name it something like:

"My Awesome Custom Attribute"

the default ID is automatically

"My Awesome Custom Attribute"

But, if I try to do the same thing in the Eclipse client, the default ID is only

"My"

If I try to put a space in the ID for the custom attribute in the Eclipse client I'm presented an error that states "Whitespaces are not allowed in the ID"

I find it interesting that when I look at the custom attributes I've created in the web client that have spaces in the IDs they still show up fine in the list of attributes in the client.

What's the risk of continuing in my space loving ways for custom work item attribute IDs? At some point am I going to find that I've shot myself in the foot?

Accepted answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered May 04 '12, 3:16 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi,

I am not sure what actually happens if you have spaces in ID's. I have always made sure not to use spaces. I am also all for a good consistent naming schema I tyically use something like "com.myorg.attribute.custom.atributename". It makes life easier if you follow such a convention.

Your post indicates the biggest potential problem already. There are different clients and if, as indicated by the Eclipse client, spaces are not allowed you could run into problems because the match algorithms might work slightly different.

You could create a defect for the web client allowing to use spaces, since the behavior is different from the Eclipse client.
Patrick Wagstrom selected this answer as the correct answer

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.