It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Is there a way to have RTC show the stream names for each version of a file in a file history view?

Bill Peloso (112) | asked May 24 '17, 6:19 p.m.

Hello, I followed the instructions in the following link to show a history view of all of the versions of a file with "Show All In Repository" selected:
https://jazz.net/forum/questions/225321/does-rtc-provide-a-version-tree-similar-to-clearcase
I see Merges, Comment, Creator, Date Modified and Version ID for each version of a file in a repository.
That is good. However, I do not see the stream name that each version of the file is located in.
Is there a way to show the stream names for each version of the file in this history view?

Comments
Geoffrey Clemm commented May 31 '17, 9:47 p.m. | edited Jun 01 '17, 9:59 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

What stream did your users want to see there?   All of the streams that currently select that version as the current version? (That can be a long list of streams.)   All of the streams that ever selected that version as a current version?  (That is an even longer list of streams).   The first stream that version was delivered to?   (Not sure why that would be especially interesting ... RTC doesn't try to remember that).   One thing that isn't obvious to a user familiar with a branch-based SCM system is that unlike branch based systems (where every version is created in some branch), in RTC, a version is created in a change-set, not a branch/stream.

Bill Peloso commented Jun 01 '17, 12:19 p.m.

Hi Geoff, Thank you for your response. I am just trying to answer the question from our RTC users of how to do something similar to a ClearCase Version Tree in RTC. The link I provided above shows how to see versions of a file in one stream - and that is good and helpful. However, users are also asking how to view versions of this file that might be in other streams.  How should I tell our RTC users to view those?

Geoffrey Clemm commented Jun 01 '17, 2:55 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Hi Bill,   To see all versions of a particular file (rather than just those in the history of a particular stream/workspace), click on the "show all in repository" tool button in the History view.   If the users are still asking for the stream name, I'd respond by saying that in ClearCase, you check-in to streams/branches, while in RTC you check-in to change-sets, so the key creation information you want in RTC is which change set it was checked-in to (and that information is available in the History view).

Bill Peloso commented Jun 01 '17, 4:26 p.m.

Thanks Geoff! This information will be helpful as we address questions like this from our users.

Be the first one to answer this question!

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.