It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Does IBM/Rational has anything like Apache Maven?

Jirong Hu (1.5k9295258) | asked Apr 27 '12, 9:03 a.m.
Hi

This is my first time working with Maven. Despite its all kinds of drawbacks, it resolves the dependency management and binary storage. So for shops using all Rational tools, what's our solution?

For dependency, I used to design the component structures in ClearCase UCM according to the application architecture component dependency. All 3rd party libraries are checked-in to CC. Internal application dependency is implemented by R/O component included in the stream, so it's source code level dependency. In application A's stream, there is application B's source code component plus all 3rd party library components, both R/O.

For the build result produced by BF, we have to store them in a file system and manage them manually.

I think IBM should enhance BF to manage dependency and binary as Maven does.

Thanks
Jirong

8 answers

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.4k33646) | answered Jul 05 '12, 12:05 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
It is also possible to use RTC with Maven. You should just follow this post: http://phkrief.wordpress.com/2010/09/24/when-maven-meets-rational-team-concert/ and make the Maven projects "flat". The dependency hierarchy is still there, but the projects are not nested anymore.

If you want to use tools to store the builds/binaries, you like, go ahead with it. I am not a fan of versioning binaries either.

In addition you could use Jenkins/Hudson if you like. There are ways to use them with RTC and the integrations are getting better too.

If you want to store and manage your builds, this might be an interesting approach too: https://jazz.net/library/article/807

permanent link
Spencer Murata (2.3k115971) | answered Apr 30 '12, 8:21 a.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Build Forge can be set up to handle dependencies. Between the adaptors which can detect source code changes, and the chain project which can create dependent builds between projects, you can set up something very similar if not the same as Maven dependencies. Its more work than a Maven set up, but more customizable. BF does nothing with binaries, so you would have to use one of the SCM tools like Jazz SCM or CC to store the binaries, but doing so could also be automated via BF since they both provide a CLI.

~Spencer

Hi

This is my first time working with Maven. Despite its all kinds of drawbacks, it resolves the dependency management and binary storage. So for shops using all Rational tools, what's our solution?

For dependency, I used to design the component structures in ClearCase UCM according to the application architecture component dependency. All 3rd party libraries are checked-in to CC. Internal application dependency is implemented by R/O component included in the stream, so it's source code level dependency. In application A's stream, there is application B's source code component plus all 3rd party library components, both R/O.

For the build result produced by BF, we have to store them in a file system and manage them manually.

I think IBM should enhance BF to manage dependency and binary as Maven does.

Thanks
Jirong

permanent link
Jirong Hu (1.5k9295258) | answered May 03 '12, 8:48 a.m.
Thank you very much for your reply.

Assume we can resolve the dependency issue with BF, I can't agree to the idea of check-in build result into a version control system.

Has anyone used any binary repositories such as Sonatype Nexus to work with BF?

Thanks
Jirong

permanent link
Bruce Albrecht (6624) | answered May 03 '12, 7:27 p.m.

Assume we can resolve the dependency issue with BF, I can't agree to the idea of check-in build result into a version control system.

We're using CC, BF, Maven and the Nexus commercial version. We are not using BF for continuous integration, our BF builds are manually initiated or scheduled, and the CC baseline is one of the required environment variables. Our developers are responsible for creating their own baselines. We do not automatically create baselines after a successful build.

Are you looking for an adaptor to detect whether a project has any dependency changes since the last build, or if any of the snapshot dependencies have a new version available. We have not written anything like that.

permanent link
Jirong Hu (1.5k9295258) | answered May 03 '12, 7:58 p.m.
I am not familiar with BF adaptors, but I am curious what you do in BF and what you do in Maven. Since to me, they are kind of duplication.

Thanks
Jirong

permanent link
Bruce Albrecht (6624) | answered May 04 '12, 1:16 a.m.
There is some overlap between Maven and BF, but not much. BF has a scheduler, has agents running on multiple machines, does things like load-leveling, collects job step logs, has a web interface, and Maven has none of these things. BF is much closer in design and features to Hudson and Jenkins. I've never actually worked with Hudson and Jenkins, but from what I've read of them, they seem to be more plugin based than BF.

permanent link
Marcelo Ancelmo (3111) | answered May 23 '12, 10:00 a.m.
You can store the binaries in Rational Asset Manager.

Thanks
Jirong

Regards,
Marcelo Sousa Ancelmo

Comments
Jirong Hu commented Jul 05 '12, 11:28 a.m.

I am going to start a new project has CCCQBF, but no RAM, and no Maven. Which one is better for such an environment, Nexus or Artifactory, in terms of easy accessing the repository from BF?

permanent link
Bruce Albrecht (6624) | answered Jul 09 '12, 3:15 p.m.
I don't think you would be directly accessing the Maven repository from Build Forge.  You should probably be asking which repository to use in Maven mailing lists or forums.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.