It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

RAFW Failed Import (Out Of Memory)

Alex Fabbri (1632) | asked Nov 03 '10, 12:22 p.m.
I have been trying to run a "Read Existing Cell Config" from RAFW on a larger env we have. As it runs it appears all is good until it gets close to end of the web servers and throws an OutOfMemory exception.

The process that is spawned on the remote server to read the config, runs a script called CellDefinitionReader.py. The process that spawned it passes min and max heap (256mb) for what I assume is the wsadmin process.

RAFW console tells me I should try to add -mx flag (You might want to try the -mx flag to increase heap size) however I am not sure where this goes. I basically want to pump up the min and max heap and see if I can get around this OutOfMemory condition.

So now to my question... Anyone know where this -mx flag goes and how to increase the max heap on this process that is spawned by rafw?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks. -Alex

4 answers

permanent link
Timothy Robertson (216143) | answered Nov 03 '10, 1:02 p.m.
You are correct in the fact that you need to update your heap size for the wsadmin jvm.
In WAS_HOME/bin/wsadmin.sh | .bat
You will see a section similar to this:
# Set java options for performance
PLATFORM=`/bin/uname`
case $PLATFORM in
AIX)
PERF_JVM_OPTIONS="-Xms256m -Xmx256m -Xquickstart" ;;
Linux)
PERF_JVM_OPTIONS="-Xms256m -Xmx256m -Xj9 -Xquickstart" ;;
SunOS)
PERF_JVM_OPTIONS="-Xms256m -Xmx256m -XX:PermSize=40m" ;;
HP-UX)
PERF_JVM_OPTIONS="-Xms256m -Xmx256m -XX:PermSize=40m" ;;
OS/390)
PERF_JVM_OPTIONS="-Xms256m -Xmx256m" ;;
esac

You will want to update the -Xmx256m value for your operating system. In the past users have doubled the size to -Xmx512m and the environment generation wizard has succeeded.

permanent link
Alex Fabbri (1632) | answered Nov 03 '10, 2:43 p.m.
Thanks, that worked great. However, now I am getting OOM on the import. I will attempt to set heap a little higher and see if I can get around the current problem. Looks like it is failing on the cell level reading of security.

820 11/3/10 5:53 PM EXEC ConfigReader - readConfigDataUsingParentId: Importing (cells/NSC-SWH-01|security.xml#JAASAuthData_1281555802634)
821 11/3/10 5:54 PM EXEC JVMDUMP006I Processing Dump Event "systhrow", detail "java/lang/OutOfMemoryError" - Please Wait.
822 11/3/10 5:54 PM EXEC JVMDUMP007I JVM Requesting Snap Dump using '/tmp/RAFW/user/environments/SWH-PT/cells/NSC-SWH-01/Snap.20101103.135436.5348.0001.trc'

permanent link
mike prendergast (3948) | answered Nov 26 '10, 7:47 a.m.
Hi can I add my two cents here?

The approach of editing wsadmin is surely the wrong way to go longterm.
I understand the issue with perf_JVM_Options overiding but if we change it's order in the .sh we can then in theory pass java options.

Then we aren't constrained to a hard coded -Xmx value

permanent link
Timothy Robertson (216143) | answered Nov 29 '10, 10:16 a.m.
Hi can I add my two cents here?

The approach of editing wsadmin is surely the wrong way to go longterm.
I understand the issue with perf_JVM_Options overiding but if we change it's order in the .sh we can then in theory pass java options.

Then we aren't constrained to a hard coded -Xmx value

I agree, a long term approach needs to allow RAFW to pass in the -Xmx flag to wsadmin. However this means that we have to modify the file on disk before we start passing in options. We have opened an RFE for this support and will be evaluating when and if it will become and official part of the product.
--tim

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.