It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Timeout when running rafwEnvBuild.bat

Chris Devine (612) | asked Aug 24 '10, 9:24 p.m.
Hello,

I'm getting the following error when running:

rafwEnvBuild.bat -interactive -existing

====
Invoking command to retrieve cell configuration.
D:\WebSphere\profiles\DMGR/bin/wsadmin.bat -username wasuser -password **** -conntype SOAP -port 55125 -lang jython -javaoption "-DRAFW_HOME=d:/RBF/RAFW" -javaoption "-Dpython.path=d:/RBF/RAFW/product/lib/jython/wsadmin_lib" -f d:/RBF/RAFW/product/lib/jython/wsadmin_lib/CellDefinitionReader.py -platform WinX64

BUILD FAILED:java.net.ConnectException
Details:java.net.ConnectException: CTGRI0079E The remote process initialization could not be completed using the current timeout interval (50000 millisecond
s).
===

If I run the command on the WAS host then it completes successfully although it takes around 40 seconds.

10 answers

permanent link
Peter Birk (501145) | answered Aug 25 '10, 7:57 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Looks like it's missing the -host parameter so it's assuming "localhost".

Regards,
Pete

permanent link
Chris Devine (612) | answered Aug 25 '10, 9:56 p.m.

Regards,
Pete

Hi Pete,

The wasadmin command is what the rafwEnvBuild.bat script generates. Here is what I did on the RAFW host...

C:\Program Files (x86)\IBM\Build Forge\rafw\bin>rafwEnvBuild.bat -interactive -existing
" using 32-bit Java on 64-bit system"
Rational Automation Framework for WebSphere version 7.1.1.4 build 20100423-1837
Welcome to the WebSphere Cell creation Wizard.

We will ask you a series of questions which we will use to build a
new environment tree that accurately reflects your existing cell.

Please use / as the separator character for directory paths.

The process associated with the profile you wish to manage must be started
before continuing.

In what environment do you want to build this new cell? Please choose an existig environment, or name a new one:
RAM_WAS

Please provide the hostname of the Target System where WebSphere is running:
washost
Please provide the system account that WebSphere runs under:
wasuser

Please provide the password/passphrase for the system account that WebSphere runs under: []

If using a non-default SSH port on your target systems, enter the port number here: []

Connected to 'washost'
Please provide the location of a WebSphere profile to import on the Target System:
D:\WebSphere\profiles\DMGR

Please provide the WebSphere Admin username:
wasuser

Please provide the WebSphere ADMIN password:

Please provide the SOAP port (leave blank to use the default port for the profile): []

D:\WebSphere\profiles\DMGR/bin/wsadmin.bat -username wasuser -password
********* -conntype SOAP -port 55125 -lang jython -javaoption "-DRAFW_HOME=d:/RBF/RAFW" -javaoption "-Dpython.path=d:/RBF/RAFW/product/lib/jython/wsadmin_lib" -f d:/RBF/RAFW/product/lib/jython/wsadmin_lib/CellDefinitionReader.py -platform WinX64

Details:java.net.ConnectException: CTGRI0079E The remote process initializat
ion could not be completed using the current timeout interval (50000 millisecond
s).

----
I assumed that this command was being run remotely on the WAS host as it refers to files which are present on the WAS host (installed presumably by rafwEnvBuild.bat) and thus would work using localhost.

Thanks for your help.

permanent link
David Brauneis (50611) | answered Aug 25 '10, 11:24 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
I would suggest using the fully qualified hostname not just the shortname for the Target System where WebSPhere is running. You provided the value "washost" for that...

Regards,
David

Regards,
Pete

Hi Pete,

The wasadmin command is what the rafwEnvBuild.bat script generates. Here is what I did on the RAFW host...

C:\Program Files (x86)\IBM\Build Forge\rafw\bin>rafwEnvBuild.bat -interactive -existing
Welcome to the WebSphere Cell creation Wizard.

We will ask you a series of questions which we will use to build a
new environment tree that accurately reflects your existing cell.

Please use / as the separator character for directory paths.

The process associated with the profile you wish to manage must be started
before continuing.

In what environment do you want to build this new cell? Please choose an existig environment, or name a new one:
RAM_WAS

Please provide the hostname of the Target System where WebSphere is running:
washost
Please provide the system account that WebSphere runs under:
wasuser

Please provide the password/passphrase for the system account that WebSphere runs under: []

If using a non-default SSH port on your target systems, enter the port number here: []

Connected to 'washost'
Please provide the location of a WebSphere profile to import on the Target System:
D:\WebSphere\profiles\DMGR

Please provide the WebSphere Admin username:
wasuser

Please provide the WebSphere ADMIN password:

Please provide the SOAP port (leave blank to use the default port for the profile): []

D:\WebSphere\profiles\DMGR/bin/wsadmin.bat -username wasuser -password
********* -conntype SOAP -port 55125 -lang jython -javaoption "-DRAFW_HOME=d:/RBF/RAFW" -javaoption "-Dpython.path=d:/RBF/RAFW/product/lib/jython/wsadmin_lib" -f d:/RBF/RAFW/product/lib/jython/wsadmin_lib/CellDefinitionReader.py -platform WinX64

Details:java.net.ConnectException: CTGRI0079E The remote process initializat
ion could not be completed using the current timeout interval (50000 millisecond
s).

----
I assumed that this command was being run remotely on the WAS host as it refers to files which are present on the WAS host (installed presumably by rafwEnvBuild.bat) and thus would work using localhost.

Thanks for your help.

permanent link
Chris Devine (612) | answered Aug 26 '10, 12:16 a.m.
I would suggest using the fully qualified hostname not just the shortname for the Target System where WebSPhere is running. You provided the value "washost" for that...

Regards,
David

Thanks David, I should of mentioned it, but the 'washost' is just a substitution I made for this post. I did use the fully qualified name.

permanent link
Barton Akeley (4631) | answered Aug 26 '10, 6:31 p.m.
We are remote executing this command so it is expected to run against localhost. What is happening here is that we are hitting the builtin timeout from RXA for the remote exec call.

You should be able to workaround this by taking the above mentioned command, replacing **** with the actual password and running directly on the target host. You should get a line:

Creating master properties file: /opt/RAFW_TEST/bart-runtime/work/CellDefinitionReader_work.properties

This is actually your batch environment file. You can now scp/ftp/etc to the framework host and run rafwEnvBuild.sh -b <filename> to generate a user tree.

The real fix to this will be a configurable timeout value which we have added in the next upcoming release.

permanent link
Chris Devine (612) | answered Aug 26 '10, 9:19 p.m.
We are remote executing this command so it is expected to run against localhost. What is happening here is that we are hitting the builtin timeout from RXA for the remote exec call.

You should be able to workaround this by taking the above mentioned command, replacing **** with the actual password and running directly on the target host. You should get a line:

Creating master properties file: /opt/RAFW_TEST/bart-runtime/work/CellDefinitionReader_work.properties

This is actually your batch environment file. You can now scp/ftp/etc to the framework host and run rafwEnvBuild.sh -b <filename> to generate a user tree.

The real fix to this will be a configurable timeout value which we have added in the next upcoming release.

Thanks Barton, that worked.

When I ran the rafwEnvBuild.sh -b CellDefinitionReader_work.properties I go an error:

BUILD FAILED:exceptions.KeyError
Details:ENVIRONMENT

I fixed this by adding a line to the properties file with the key ENVIRONMENT and set it to the name of my environment.

permanent link
Chris Devine (612) | answered Aug 27 '10, 2:32 a.m.
Hi Barton,

When the rafwEnvBuild.bat script runs successfully (i.e. no timeout) does it set the properties for users and passwords in RAFWHOME\user\environments\RAM\cells\<cell>\configure.properties ?

I found that in the configure.properties for my cell the following were set with:

WAS_USERNAME=@WAS_USERNAME@
WAS_PASSWORD=@WAS_PASSWORD@
OS_USER=@OS_USER@
The OS_PASSWORD was set to an encryped password

I was getting a connection error running rafw.bat:

Error Connecting to 'my WAS host'
BUILD FAILED
Error: com.ibm.tivoli.remoteaccess.RemoteAccessAuthException
Details: com.ibm.tivoli.remoteaccess.RemoteAccessAuthException: CTGRI0000E Could not establish a connection to the target machine with the authorization credentials that were provided.

I then used rafwEnvBuild.bat -getPropsFile to encrypt the passwords for the users and I edited configure.properties to set the encrypted passwords and to set the user names for WAS_USERNAME and OS_USER

This got me further so that when I ran:

C:\Program Files (x86)\IBM\Build Forge\rafw\bin>rafw.bat -env myenv -cell mycell_Cell -node mynode
Connected to 'my WAS host'
Transferring Java to the remote server.

This transferred files to the target server and completed without error.

When I try to use rafw.bat on the Build Forge server I'm getting the timeout errors:

C:\Program Files (x86)\IBM\Build Forge\rafw\bin>rafw.bat -env myenv -cell mycell_Cell -node mynode -execute was_common_install_was_version_info
Connected to 'my WAS host'
BUILD FAILED
Error: java.net.ConnectException
Details: java.net.ConnectException: CTGRI0079E The remote process initialization could not be completed using the current timeout interval (50000 milliseconds).

permanent link
Barton Akeley (4631) | answered Aug 27 '10, 10:30 a.m.
Yes, there is additional processing that normally occurs back on the framework side once this file is reverse-transferred back. I'm sorry to say you will need to manually do these updates to the placeholder tokens.

The bright side is once you are done you will have a reusable env properties file so you will not need to run existing cell again for this particular environment.

Also, you may want to check out 7.1.2 M5 when it becomes available on this site:
https://jazz.net/downloads/rational-build-forge/

I can't guarantee the fix will be in M5, but there is a good chance. You can PM me or reply to this thread after it comes up and I can check and confirm for you.

permanent link
Chris Devine (612) | answered Aug 29 '10, 9:35 p.m.
Yes, there is additional processing that normally occurs back on the framework side once this file is reverse-transferred back. I'm sorry to say you will need to manually do these updates to the placeholder tokens.

The bright side is once you are done you will have a reusable env properties file so you will not need to run existing cell again for this particular environment.

Also, you may want to check out 7.1.2 M5 when it becomes available on this site:
https://jazz.net/downloads/rational-build-forge/

I can't guarantee the fix will be in M5, but there is a good chance. You can PM me or reply to this thread after it comes up and I can check and confirm for you.

OK thanks Barton, I'll lookout for the next release. The timeout occurs when I'm trying to use rafw.bat e.g. to stop servers, so it appears that I won't be able to use RAFW until I can configure the timeout.

permanent link
Chris Devine (612) | answered Sep 01 '10, 7:32 p.m.
Hi Barton,

I've had success getting the rafw commands to work. I noticed that on the target server (Windows machine) that there were security failure events in the event viewer which indicated that the user I had configured as the OS user didn't have logon rights:

Event ID: 534 Logon Failure: Reason: The user has not been granted the requested logon type at this machine

I changed to using a different user with the necessary rights and the stop server command worked fine.

With regard to the timeout, on some advice from local IBM support I played with the constants.properties in remoteaccess.jar and found that the win_exec_max_startup_time_millis was the timeout limit that I was hitting.

Thanks again for your help.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.