It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Problems Getting BF projects

Erik anderson (38315029) | asked Mar 29 '10, 3:05 p.m.
Following instructions @ https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Main/RationalBuildForge/IntegrationWithRTC I've installed the server, client, configured runas user perms, and have a working project in build forge.

When I get to the step about creating a build definition and click on the "Get Projects" button, I get:

Build Forge password: The username and password combination provided is not valid. Please check the username and password.

Note, I can log into build forge console fine using a browser. I noticed this stack in the eclipse log (not sure if it's significant or not).

!ENTRY com.ibm.rational.connector.buildforge.ui 4 4 2010-03-29 14:21:42.343
!MESSAGE
!STACK 0
com.buildforge.services.common.api.APIException
at com.buildforge.services.client.api.APIClientConnection.call(APIClientConnection.java:607)
at com.buildforge.services.client.api.APIClientConnection.authUser(APIClientConnection.java:693)
at com.ibm.rational.connector.buildforge.ui.BuildForgeConfigurationEditor.getProjects(BuildForgeConfigurationEditor.java:740)
at com.ibm.rational.connector.buildforge.ui.BuildForgeConfigurationEditor.access$1(BuildForgeConfigurationEditor.java:709)
at com.ibm.rational.connector.buildforge.ui.BuildForgeConfigurationEditor$13.widgetSelected(BuildForgeConfigurationEditor.java:548)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.TypedListener.handleEvent(TypedListener.java:228)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.EventTable.sendEvent(EventTable.java:84)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Widget.sendEvent(Widget.java:1003)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.runDeferredEvents(Display.java:3840)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.readAndDispatch(Display.java:3439)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.runEventLoop(Workbench.java:2384)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.runUI(Workbench.java:2348)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.access$4(Workbench.java:2200)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench$5.run(Workbench.java:495)
at org.eclipse.core.databinding.observable.Realm.runWithDefault(Realm.java:288)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.createAndRunWorkbench(Workbench.java:490)
at org.eclipse.ui.PlatformUI.createAndRunWorkbench(PlatformUI.java:149)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.ide.application.IDEApplication.start(IDEApplication.java:113)
at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.app.EclipseAppHandle.run(EclipseAppHandle.java:193)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.runApplication(EclipseAppLauncher.java:110)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.start(EclipseAppLauncher.java:79)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:386)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:179)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:79)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:618)
at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.invokeFramework(Main.java:549)
at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.basicRun(Main.java:504)
at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.run(Main.java:1236)

Any suggestions how to debug this problem?

9 answers

permanent link
Peter Birk (501145) | answered Mar 30 '10, 9:57 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Erik,

Do you have multiple build definitions defined? If so, make sure the hostname is exactly the same in each one, when referencing the same Build Forge console. The hostname/port/user is a connection lookup key, since we need to reuse the same connection for the same user in the same console else we'll break the session each time a different login occurs.

Also, the user ID that you specify must be a dedicated user, i.e., it should not be used elsewhere. The reason for this is it will be used for polling the Build Forge server for events and if someone else is using it, the session will be log the other user off, or vice versa. Let me know if this does not help.

Regards,
Pete

permanent link
Erik anderson (38315029) | answered Mar 30 '10, 11:03 a.m.
This is the first and only build definition for this repository (I haven't been able to save it due to the error).

Is the problem between the client and BF server, or is the RTC server integration involved in some way?

permanent link
Peter Birk (501145) | answered Mar 30 '10, 11:24 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Erik,
One thing you can try to do to get more information, is to edit your eclipse.ini and add the following at the very end of it.

-Dcom.buildforge.rtc.plugin.debug=true

Save it and restart your Eclipse client. Try the configuration again and it should produce a buildforge_client.log in the /eclipse directory. Try to recreate the problem. The buildforge_client.log might contain more information. Again, make sure the userid/password specified is not being used elsewhere. Also, make sure the user has authority to view projects in Build Forge. This is making a direct API client connection from the Eclipse plugin to the Build Forge server. If you are using RTC 2.x, make sure the Eclipse plugin installed is from the /rtc2 update site. Also, I assume the Eclipse Build Forge plugin was installed from the Build Forge version you are trying to connect to. That will make sure the version of the services layer API client matches.

Pete

permanent link
Erik anderson (38315029) | answered Apr 01 '10, 3:22 p.m.
The client side plugins (7.1.1.3020061) were installed from buildforge server update site (http://nsbfmc03.raleigh.ibm.com:81/rtc2). My RTC client is 2.0.0.2

I can log into the build forge server at http://nsbfmc03.raleigh.ibm.com:81 as wplcbuild@us.ibm.com through a browser and access projects. Note: the browser redirects to https://nsbfmc03.raleigh.ibm.com:8443) for authentication. As far as I know, no one is using this id (wplcbuilds) to log into the buildforge server and I made sure I was logged off the buildforge server when working with the build definition.

I specified host: nsbfmc03.raleigh.ibm.com and port: 3966 in the build def and enabled client side logging. Still getting the failure and see this in the client side log:

com.ibm.rational.connector.buildforge.ui.BuildForgeBuildDefinitionSaveListener, Thu Apr 01 15:00:21 EDT 2010: Build Client: com.ibm.team.build.internal.client.TeamBuildClient@3ef63ef6, Build Def: com.ibm.team.build.internal.common.model.impl.BuildDefinitionImpl@26ac26ac (stateId: null, itemId: , origin: <unset>, immutable: <unset>) (contextId: null, modified: null, workingCopy: true) (mergePredecessor: null, workingCopyPredecessor: <unset>, workingCopyMergePredecessor: <unset>, predecessor: null) (id: WPLC Build Team build, description: , ignoreWarnings: true)

permanent link
Michael Gray (86126) | answered Apr 02 '10, 11:09 a.m.
When we log in to BF using a browser, in addition to username and
password, there's a "Domain" pull-down list from which we have to
specify "WPLC"... Do we somehow have to embed that in the
hostname or username in the RTC build definition?

permanent link
Peter Birk (501145) | answered Apr 02 '10, 11:55 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
When we log in to BF using a browser, in addition to username and
password, there's a "Domain" pull-down list from which we have to
specify "WPLC"... Do we somehow have to embed that in the
hostname or username in the RTC build definition?

Currently, you have to create a local DB user. This is not ideal, but for the most part the user who you enter here must be dedicated, so it really should not represent a "real" user who might login with that ID elsewhere. Feel free to open an RTC change request for this if it's highly desired.

permanent link
Peter Birk (501145) | answered Apr 02 '10, 11:56 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
The client side plugins (7.1.1.3020061) were installed from buildforge server update site (http://nsbfmc03.raleigh.ibm.com:81/rtc2). My RTC client is 2.0.0.2

I can log into the build forge server at http://nsbfmc03.raleigh.ibm.com:81 as wplcbuild@us.ibm.com through a browser and access projects. Note: the browser redirects to https://nsbfmc03.raleigh.ibm.com:8443) for authentication. As far as I know, no one is using this id (wplcbuilds) to log into the buildforge server and I made sure I was logged off the buildforge server when working with the build definition.

I specified host: nsbfmc03.raleigh.ibm.com and port: 3966 in the build def and enabled client side logging. Still getting the failure and see this in the client side log:

com.ibm.rational.connector.buildforge.ui.BuildForgeBuildDefinitionSaveListener, Thu Apr 01 15:00:21 EDT 2010: Build Client: com.ibm.team.build.internal.client.TeamBuildClient@3ef63ef6, Build Def: com.ibm.team.build.internal.common.model.impl.BuildDefinitionImpl@26ac26ac (stateId: null, itemId: , origin: <unset>, immutable: <unset>) (contextId: null, modified: null, workingCopy: true) (mergePredecessor: null, workingCopyPredecessor: <unset>, workingCopyMergePredecessor: <unset>, predecessor: null) (id: WPLC Build Team build, description: , ignoreWarnings: true)

Erik,

Ping me offline and I'll work with you to get this going. We can update the forum with the problem/resolution once we understand what's going on. Thanks!

Pete

permanent link
Erik anderson (38315029) | answered Apr 05 '10, 8:02 a.m.
I think we're all set. The local build forge id was the key - we had been using an LDAP based build forge id.

permanent link
Peter Birk (501145) | answered Apr 05 '10, 9:34 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
I think we're all set. The local build forge id was the key - we had been using an LDAP based build forge id.

FYI... I opened RTC defect 110998: "Cannot log into Build Forge with LDAP user from the RTC plugin", to address this in a future release.

Pete

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.