It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Newbie questions about nomenclature

Mark Lavin (111) | asked Apr 26 '12, 8:51 a.m.
I'm starting with RTC+Eclipse, and trying to understand the nomenclature. I've heard:

(1) Workspace (aka, sandbox) An Eclipse term (?), a directory on a local machine containing stuff that I (privately) work on.

(2) Repository workspace An RTC/Jazz term (?), a structure on a server that reflects my view (private or shared) of the state of certain structures in a Repository Stream (?).

I've just run into problems trying to create and delete an Eclipse workspace. When I've gone to or Google to find the right way to do this, the only hit I've gotten seems specific to Jazz for MS Visual Studio ( "Sandbox Wizard") and I'm running RTC v3 on Linux.

Two questions: Is my understanding of the two terms above correct? How do Icreate/delete Eclipse workspaces/sandboxes from RTC v3 on Linux?

2 answers

permanent link
Tim Mok (6.6k38) | answered Apr 26 '12, 9:59 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
You're pretty much correct with what you've said about the Eclipse workspace and an RTC repository workspace.

The Eclipse workspace, or sandbox, is content on your local disk. Whatever you modify here isn't a change on anything in your repository workspace.

The repository workspace is on the RTC server. It is a buffer between your sandbox and the stream or wherever else you intend to deliver your changes.

When deleting your Eclipse workspace, you can just delete it from disk. Deleting your repository workspace from Eclipse will also ask you if you want to delete your local files. I believe the default is to disconnect so that you still have the files locally even though the repository workspace is deleted.

https://jazz.net/library/article/126#scm_diagram

You may want to take a look at that diagram. It shows how artifacts in RTC SCM interact with each other and the sandbox.

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered May 03 '12, 10:56 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Unfortunately, the term "workspace" tends to be used for three very different (but related) objects:
- an Eclipse workspace: This is the directory on disk that stores all the data and metadata for a particular Eclipse instance.
- an RTC repository workspace: This is an object stored in the RTC repository, representing a configuration of versionable items for a particular user.
- an RTC sandbox: This is a directory on disk that stores files and folders that have been downloaded from a particular RTC repository workspace.

Of these 3, only the first two should ever be called a "workspace" ... the third should always be called a "sandbox". For a while, some of the RTC documentation called a sandbox a "local workspace". That caused significant confusion, and so that term has been officially purged from the RTC lexicon.

So how are these 3 kinds of objects related?
The relationships are all "many-to-many", i.e. you can have:
- multiple Eclipse workspaces looking at the same RTC repository workspace
- multiple RTC repository workspaces being looked at by the same Eclipse workspace
- multiple RTC repository workspaces loaded into the same RTC sandbox
- multiple RTC sandboxes being loaded from the same RTC repository workspace(possible, but not recommended except for special circumstances such as builds)
- multiple Eclipse workspaces using the same RTC sandbox (not concurrently)
- multiple RTC sandboxes being used by the same Eclipse workspace

Because of the close relationship between Eclipse workspaces and RTC repository workspaces, if there is even a small chance that just "workspace" will be ambiguous, always use either "Eclipse workspace" or "RTC repository workspace" (although just "repository workspace" is fine as well). And you can usually abbreviate "RTC sandbox" to be just "sandbox" (but *never* call it a "workspace" :-).

Cheers,
Geoff

I'm starting with RTC+Eclipse, and trying to understand the nomenclature. I've heard:

(1) Workspace (aka, sandbox) An Eclipse term (?), a directory on a local machine containing stuff that I (privately) work on.

(2) Repository workspace An RTC/Jazz term (?), a structure on a server that reflects my view (private or shared) of the state of certain structures in a Repository Stream (?).

I've just run into problems trying to create and delete an Eclipse workspace. When I've gone to or Google to find the right way to do this, the only hit I've gotten seems specific to Jazz for MS Visual Studio ( "Sandbox Wizard") and I'm running RTC v3 on Linux.

Two questions: Is my understanding of the two terms above correct? How do Icreate/delete Eclipse workspaces/sandboxes from RTC v3 on Linux?

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.