It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

RTC client - estimate field problem

Matous Havlena (6646) | asked Apr 17 '12, 3:32 a.m.
Hi all,
we are facing interesting problem. When using a RTC eclipse client 3.0.1.2 we can't fill up estimate field with the value "1d" (1 day) in task work item. If we do so in web interface it works but not in eclipse client. When we enter value "1d" it shows error message and corrects the value to "d: 1". And when we enter value "2d" it's replaced by the value "2" - but it's also incorrect because the default unit is hour and it should be 16h (=2days). We can't figure it out. There are some screenshots.

When we fill up this:
http://www.rationalworks.cz/docs/issue1.jpg

We get this error:
http://www.rationalworks.cz/docs/issue2.jpg

Thanks for any help!
Matthew

9 answers

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered Apr 17 '12, 8:32 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi Matthew,

i could find https://jazz.net/jazz/web/projects/Rational%20Team%20Concert#action=com.ibm.team.workitem.viewWorkItem&id=177546 which is for planning and for Portuguese. I am wondering if this is a similar issue. You might want to submit a PMR or open a work item.

permanent link
Matous Havlena (6646) | answered Apr 17 '12, 10:41 a.m.
Raplh,
thank you for your help. It was caused by Czech translation. We wanted to use the Eclipse in English but RTC client probably expected value in Czech and there is something wrong with this (but still don't know why it can't be "1d"). Finally what fixed the issue was adding these 2 lines to eclipse config.ini file (configuration/config.ini):

osgi.nl=en
-NL=en_US

Thank you again!

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered Apr 17 '12, 11:03 a.m.
Hi Matthew,

thanks for the response. I have to look into your lines you add.

I once created a work item about the language selection. It got closed and I am waiting for a customer to open a new one since then.....

As far as I know the language comes into play in various places.

If you want the server to talk English you would add your string or something similar to the server startup.bat.

I usually added

set JAVA_OPTS=%JAVA_OPTS% -Duser.language=en

so far. That or your string should make the server think it runs on an english/US os. You should do that before you create projects, otherwise you might end up with having a Czech process template deployed. 8-(

Not sure what the difference between mine and yours is, the OSGI setting is probably on a lower level.

This does not fix the clients......

I also add -Duser.language=en to all the eclipse.ini, scm.ini and the .ini for the build system toolkit. Otherwise some client always tries to talk German to me. Since I have never worked with a German Eclipse, that screws me up.

And some pages in the web still tend to show two languages in the browser, so I enforce English with the quick locale switcher browser plugin too.

I am not sure if it is doable at all, but I would prefer an option on the server. In general for a default and per user.

permanent link
Matous Havlena (6646) | answered Apr 17 '12, 11:29 a.m.
Ralph,
I didn't know that I can specify language for server in server.startup. We are running on English OS (Red Hat) but some projects are migrated from previous 2.0 version and I don't know whether these projects were deployed with a Czech process template (don't know where to get this information).

Thanks again for your great explanation. I will try to add the JAVA_OPTS to server.startup and will see if it also solves the problem I had before. Will let you know!

Matthew

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered Apr 17 '12, 11:49 a.m.
Hi Matthew,

very few people seem to be aware of this. It seems to be well hidden. I am not sure how serious it would be if you deployed a Czech template. I would assume you might see some terms e.g. for work item literals in Czech. I haven't explored this too deep.

As long as nobody complains about the data in the old projects, why worry? You can't fix it as far as I know. If I wanted to know, I would try and look into the process configuration and the attachments that define this. But again, if nobody complains and you don't see mixed languages.....

Please keep us updated on what you see.

permanent link
Matous Havlena (6646) | answered Apr 18 '12, 11:41 a.m.
Hi Raplh,
I tried to add JAVA_OPTS to the server.startup (both "cs" and "en") as you suggested and started eclipse without my two lines in the config file and the problem resisted. The conclusion from my point of view is that I can't use estimation field without these 2 lines even if I set the user language in server.startup.

We are lucky that we don't need to use eclipse client in Czech. If we would need it I don't know how to solve this problem (I set user language in server.startup to cs as well as in eclipse by the 2 lines showed earlier - so it's probably caused by a Czech process template).

Now it works for us and it's enough. Thank you a lot!
Matous

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered Apr 19 '12, 2:24 a.m.
Hi Matous,

as I said, there are different places. The client and the server have their own language setting..... I assume your issue is with the Eclipse client. Have you seen it in the web client too?

permanent link
Matous Havlena (6) | answered Apr 19 '12, 7:53 a.m.
Ralph,
we are facing this issue only in the Eclipse client. So how should I set the eclipse and the server to be able to use the Eclipse client in Czech with working estimations? I already tried to set...

For the server in server.startup:
-Duser.language=cs

For the eclipse client:
-Duser.language=en (eclipse.ini, scm.ini)
osgi.nl=en (both config.ini)
-NL=en_US (both config.ini)

Whole eclipse is then in Czech as well as the RTC client. But the issue with the estimation field still resists.

Matous

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered Apr 19 '12, 11:12 a.m.
Matous,

1st you can run the server with a different language than the client. I have however seen mixed languages in feeds etc. You should be able to run the server with en language setting.

The eclipse client (as well as the server) will pick up the machine settings by default. You don't need to change that, if it reflects what you want.

If your locale on the client is cz Eclipse should pick it up. You would need to install the translations to get the menus etc. in your language.

Is the problem you are seeing only with the Eclipse client if running in your local language? Does the Web UI work with your local language? If that is the case I would suggest to create a PMR or work item to get it fixed.

If it happens with both clients, I would also suggest to create a PMR or work item. In both cases if it works with the Eclipse or browser language to en, that would be the work around until it is fixed.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.