It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Is it possible to upload a file o an existing artifact?

Eduardo Mylonas da Silva (23422519) | asked Mar 30 '12, 12:33 p.m.
While uploading a file, I can create a new artifact, but I can't find a way to upload a document to an existing artifact. Is it possible?

Thank you

4 answers

permanent link
Robin Bater (3.4k47) | answered Apr 01 '12, 4:02 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
While uploading a file, I can create a new artifact, but I can't find a way to upload a document to an existing artifact. Is it possible?

Thank you

If you want to upload a new version of a document, say Microsoft word, that you have previously uploaded, then open the artifact and press the edit button. This is will show an additional option in the content field area that will allow you to upload a new version of that word document.

permanent link
Eduardo Mylonas da Silva (23422519) | answered Apr 02 '12, 9:03 a.m.

Thank you

If you want to upload a new version of a document, say Microsoft word, that you have previously uploaded, then open the artifact and press the edit button. This is will show an additional option in the content field area that will allow you to upload a new version of that word document.

Thank you for the response, Robin.

And what if I want to upload a file to an existing artifact that does not have a file in it yet?

Thank you

permanent link
William Andreas (136) | answered Apr 03 '12, 9:17 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Files are stored in artifacts with a special format (called "File"). Each artifact that contains a file contains one (and only one) file. These artifacts are created when you do an upload (and the content can then be replaced/updated later). There really isn't a way to create an empty file artifact (which you can add something to later) other than creating one with a dummy (e.g., empty) file to it.

If you have an existing artifact of some type (say a requirement) and you want to "add" some files to it (e.g., you want to "attach" things to it like you do in RTC), you create the file artifacts (upload them) and then link to them (effectively creating "attachment" links). Since the files are treated as separate artifacts, you have more management capabilities than you do in RTC (e.g., you can re-use them, track where they are used, etc.)

permanent link
Eduardo Mylonas da Silva (23422519) | answered Apr 03 '12, 1:51 p.m.
Files are stored in artifacts with a special format (called "File"). Each artifact that contains a file contains one (and only one) file. These artifacts are created when you do an upload (and the content can then be replaced/updated later). There really isn't a way to create an empty file artifact (which you can add something to later) other than creating one with a dummy (e.g., empty) file to it.

If you have an existing artifact of some type (say a requirement) and you want to "add" some files to it (e.g., you want to "attach" things to it like you do in RTC), you create the file artifacts (upload them) and then link to them (effectively creating "attachment" links). Since the files are treated as separate artifacts, you have more management capabilities than you do in RTC (e.g., you can re-use them, track where they are used, etc.)

Thank you, William.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.