It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Rollup estimated hour of stories

Erwin Kunz (94687086) | asked Mar 29 '12, 7:50 a.m.
I'm using the SCRUM Template.
RTC V.3.0.1.1

If I'm in a plan and an hover on an EPIC/STORY, I get for the Progress Bar the cummulated hours of all task Items below the EPIC/STORY (Children).
For Stories this is as needed

Unfortunately we are using a mix of Waterfall and Scrum Process in some of our projects. They need an estimate for the whole Project before starting.
The Idea is to break down the work to epic than stories and estimate them, not in complexity, but in hours.
The Estimate field is build in an can be displayed and edited in a Plan.

Now we would like to Rollup this estimates. Meens, I have an Epic with three stories with each of them has been estimated in hours, no points
Looking at the progress bar of the Epic I see Progress 0/0 h

I'd like to see the estimated hours of the child Stories

Can this be configured somewhere? I did not found it in the Process Configuration Editor.

many thanks for any hint

One answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.3k33646) | answered Mar 30 '12, 4:53 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi Erwin,

work items are split in top level work items and execution items for planning. See https://jazz.net/library/article/589

I think the estimate rollup works only for execution items. For top level work items the complexity attribute is used for rollup. The idea is that you can't really provide a good estimate for complex things as stories.

You can either uncheck the top level work item checkmark for the story work items (you will loose the story point rollup, I think) or you can create a new complexity attribute of type integer and use that instead of the story points for estimation.

Or you could create one "estimation" child execution work item for each story and put the estimation there. I think this is the best approach.

The changes need to be done in the process configuration. Please also note that 3.x does not support rollup across different timelines or projects.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.