It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

A new work item type with a new type category not inherited in Consumer Process Area

Jayasimha K S (1335) | asked Jan 17 '14, 6:50 a.m.
In the provider process area
1. Create a new work item type and while creating choose to go with a new work item Type Category (not predefined type category)
3. Associate the new work item with a new workflow (or an existing predefined workflow) that you have defined.
4. Save the new work item

In the consumer process area, the new work item type is not visible

Is this a bug or limitation? 

Comments
Karthik Krishnan commented Jan 20 '14, 8:43 a.m.
Hi Jayasimha,

Have you associated the category with the Team area? Also if you have "Restrict work item access to team members, then the member should be part of the team/project area to view that work item

Jayasimha K S commented Jan 21 '14, 5:55 a.m.

No. I haven't

Karthik Krishnan commented Jan 22 '14, 6:57 a.m. | edited Jan 22 '14, 7:02 a.m.

have you tried with that now?

One answer

permanent link
Krzysztof Kaźmierczyk (7.4k374103) | answered Jan 17 '14, 10:31 a.m.
Hi Jayasimha,
According to https://jazz.net/library/article/1005 work item types should be inherited.
I would say that it is configuration issue.
Couple of questions:
1. What is your RTC version?
2, What is the process template you have used in child project area?
3. Don't you see this type only in one child or in all children?
4. Have you tried creating another work item type to check if you can see it?

Comments
Jayasimha K S commented Jan 20 '14, 12:30 a.m.
  1. I am using RTC 4.0.4
  2. I am using a "Formal Project Management Process" for provider process area and "Unconfigured Process" template for the consumer process areas.
  3. In order to check this, I created a new consumer process area and I see the new work item types with new type categories inherited here. I also see that in the consumer process areas where the Types & Attributes configuration data has been edited and modified the inheritance is broken.

Also going through the article reference provided by you and with my own tryouts I am inferring the following
  4. By default, Work item type inheritance works in the consumer process area only if they are not configured at the consumer process area.
  5. A configuration of Types & Attributes process element in the consumer process area breaks work item type inheritance.  
  6. Different consumer process areas might have different inheritances from the same provider process area depending upon at what point in time the consumer process area broke the inheritance by doing configuration.

are there any other inferences?

sam detweiler commented Jan 20 '14, 6:02 a.m.

each section has the same behavior if the parent (sharing) process does not have 'final' selected. once the client/child modifies an area, a copy of that area at the time of modification is placed in the client config space and no further parent updates are used.

as u note, this could lead to having multiple client/child projects area configurations.

for enums, attributes and presentations there is a small area of client/child customization available thru direct xml editing, that supports retaining linkage to the sharing process area  see https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Main/ConfigurationDataDeltaUserDoc

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.