It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How to load multiple components with the component selected in the Load wizard.

Geoff Binns (30424) | asked Dec 02 '16, 7:40 a.m.
edited Dec 03 '16, 4:26 p.m. by David Lafreniere (4.8k7)

Using RTC 5.0.2.

We basically want to load a snapshot into the local file system. The snapshot can be loaded into a RWS.

The snapshot could have dynamically added/removed components say for test components.

To load all the components in the RWS into a sandbox using the Load wizard with the option "Load the root folders of the components as projects". By default the root folders within each component are selected.

If you select the component itself, the component will be loaded as a folder with the same name as the component.

Is there a way to have this option selected by default?

The component "Load As" option seems to do it but cannot be applied to the RWS or multiple components.

Using the Load Rule may be a solution. We don't want to have to edit the Load Rule with each new snapshot if the components are changing. Unless there is a way to work with dynamically changing component list.

We could add a root folder in each component but just seems to be adding a folder unnecessarily. 

We could do it from the CLI if the Load As was accessible.

Is there a better or easier way to get a snapshot into a sandbox?

Look forward to any help. Thanks.

Comments
Geoff Binns commented Dec 02 '16, 7:53 a.m.

I should further elaborate as I found a similar question.

Each component has the same subfolders.

\test scripts

\test files

So when the components are loaded using the CLI there are errors that the folders are being overwritten from each component.

What we want is the

Component1\test scripts

Component1\test files

Component2\test scripts

Component2\test files

Maybe the components should include the root folder in the first place.

Accepted answer

permanent link
David Lafreniere (4.8k7) | answered Dec 03 '16, 4:25 p.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
edited Oct 11 '17, 4:02 p.m.

There is no way to have the Load Wizard in the RTC rich clients select 'the component nodes' by default. Currently this has to be done manually. However we delivered a feature in RTC 6.0.5 S2 which adds a "Select All Components" in the Load Wizard (see Enhancement 194680, comment 13). So by 'manual', we really mean just click one button now.

Also note that often the suggestion is to generate a load rule and use that in the future when loading in a such a way that would not be common. However I understand this won't work for you since you have components with a varying number of components. Maybe you could have a load rule that tries to load 'all possible' components, which I think might even work even though the workspace might have less (someone would need to confirm this though, but I think that's true), this is still 'far' from an ideal solution in your case, so the recommendation is to upgrade to RTC 6.0.5 and use the new button in the Load Wizard.

It also looks like this could be done using the CLI. The load command takes a -i (or --include-root) argument which "Loads component roots as directories in the file system.".

Geoff Binns selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Geoff Binns commented Dec 05 '16, 3:55 a.m.

David Lafreniere commented Oct 11 '17, 3:58 p.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Note: Such a feature was delivered in RTC 6.0.5 S2. See comment 13 in:
Unable to load multiple components with Component name as the root folder while using GUI (194680)

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.