It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Enter a password at project execution time

Jeffrey Gordon (961310) | asked Feb 17 '12, 2:23 p.m.
We are using Build Forge 7.1.3.1.

Is it possible and what is the best way to do this. I want to be able to have the user enter a password value in an environment variable at project execution time but ensure that the value is not displayed in any log output. I have tried combinations of Assign/Hidden and Suppress Display, Required, etc. but nothing provides what I need.

Have anyone been successful doing something like this?

--Jeff

3 answers

permanent link
Chad Rodrigue (76) | answered Feb 17 '12, 5:23 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Is it possible and what is the best way to do this. I want to be able to have the user enter a password value in an environment variable at project execution time but ensure that the value is not displayed in any log output. I have tried combinations of Assign/Hidden and Suppress Display, Required, etc. but nothing provides what I need.

--Jeff

Actually, Assign Hidden should print the password as a series of "******"s in the logs.

Is that inadequate for your needs, or just not working properly in 7.1.3.1?

permanent link
Jeffrey Gordon (961310) | answered Feb 17 '12, 5:26 p.m.

--Jeff

Agreed, this is how Assign/Hidden works for the log output. What I can't figure our is how to allow the user to enter the information at project execution time.

--Jeff

permanent link
Chad Rodrigue (76) | answered Feb 18 '12, 7:42 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Agreed, this is how Assign/Hidden works for the log output. What I can't figure our is how to allow the user to enter the information at project execution time.

--Jeff

OH! I understand now.

You'll be pleased to learn that in 7.1.3.2, the Assign Hidden variable type was changed to also be able to be assigned the "Must Change" attribute. (Prior to this, the design of Assign Hidden variable types only allowed their values to be modified from the environment page).

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.