It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Questions about Build Forge performance on Oracle 11G RAC

Narayanan Potti (27037679) | asked Oct 16 '12, 5:04 p.m.
Hi Build Forge gurus

Build Forge is being used heavily in my project. We're currently on Build Forge 7.1.1.4, database instance is Oracle 10 G. Some users were concerned Build Forge performance is slow. Build Forge admins would like to migrate the DB instance to Oracle 11G in RAC configuration. I have questions about this:

1. When using Build Forge with Oracle DB in RAC how is performance when compared to non-RAC DB ? Is there a noticeable performance degradation ?
2. Will Build Forge 7.1.1.4 work with Oracle 11G DB ? Will this version work with Oracle 11G DB in RAC ? Is it necessary to upgrade Build Forge to use Oracle RAC configuration ? If Build Forge needs to be upgrade which version of Build Forge is recommended ?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You
NP

Accepted answer

permanent link
Anthony Kesterton (7.5k9180136) | answered Oct 16 '12, 5:31 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi

Some general comments about RAC that may help, based on feedback from a customer who has other applications that run on Oracle and tried RAC.  Oracle RAC can be slower than an non-RAC instance of Oracle except where the application has been specifically coded to take advantage of RAC.  I believe that Build Forge is not specifically coded for RAC - so I would expect some degradation of performance.  What that will be is hard to say (unless you actually get to try it out on your instance of RAC).

In terms of supported platforms - it is always a good idea to check what is listed on the system requirements (I forget to do this myself sometimes :-)

https://jazz.net/downloads/pages/rational-build-forge/7.1.1.4/7.1.1.4/images/BuildForge-InstallGuide-7114.pdf

and this does not list Oracle 11g as a supported platform.

I checked the later versions and 7.1.3 and greater supports 11g and RAC (but again, I suspect it is not coded for RAC).  I found the info via this very useful tool:

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/prodguid/v1r0/clarity/softwareReqsForProduct.html

Type in Build Forge and select a version number.

Hope that helps
Narayanan Potti selected this answer as the correct answer

One other answer

permanent link
Bruce Albrecht (6624) | answered Oct 19 '12, 2:44 p.m.
If you're already seeing performance problems with Build Forge 7.1.1.4, you probably want to upgrade to 7.1.3 anyway because IBM did a lot of work in 7.1.2 or 7.1.3 to add indices for all of the foreign keys in their tables.  We were seeing roughly 30 second job step overhead in 7.1.1.3, and this was reduced to about 5 second job step overhead.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.