It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How are Expected Work Hours calculated in iteration?

Chuck berry (1111) | asked Jan 18 '12, 5:35 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
How are Expected Work Hours calculated in iteration?

Web client->Plan Details->Iteration click on 'Progress', hover over colored bar. How is "Expected Work Hours" calculated?

This is from a 3 week iteration

This is what RTC reports:
Work hours done: 627.25 of 1333.25 planned
Expected work hours: 756.75 (behind by 129.5 hours)

I checked this by: total planned / number of weeks = expected per week (444) plus 3 days (today is EOD Wed) which adds 266 more to expected for total 710.

Expected work hours above shows 756.75, not equal to 710
What am I missing here?

4 answers

permanent link
Aradhya K (1.4k44345) | answered Oct 16 '12, 1:24 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Expected hours = (Sum estimates of all work items) * (Available hours from Start date of plan till now/ Available hours from Start date to End Date of the plan)
The available hours between 2 dates is calculated based on the allocation, work hours and absences of all the users part of the plan.

permanent link
Christophe Lucas (86224948) | answered Jan 19 '12, 4:53 a.m.
Similar post: Progress bar in iteration planning with explanations on how this is calculated

permanent link
Chuck berry (1111) | answered Jan 19 '12, 3:53 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Similar post: Progress bar in iteration planning with explanations on how this is calculated

Thanks for responding, but the answer you point to does not answer the question. It says:
projection= work_time_DONE/work_time_REMAIN - real_time_DONE /
real_time_REMAIN

So if you plug the numbers in that I provided in my original post, it comes to be -.25. And that's if I guessed correctly about what "real time" means. Also why is it that work time done and real time done is not the same value? This makes no sense to me ...

permanent link
Chuck berry (1111) | answered Jan 19 '12, 4:11 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Thanks for responding, but the answer you point to does not answer the question. It says:
projection= work_time_DONE/work_time_REMAIN - real_time_DONE /
real_time_REMAIN

So if you plug the numbers in that I provided in my original post, it comes to be -.25. And that's if I guessed correctly about what "real time" means. Also why is it that work time done and real time done is not the same value? This makes no sense to me ...

What I meant to say above is: why is it that <expected> and real time done is not the same value?

So "Expected Work Hours" should be equal to real time passed since iteration started, but it's not. Please shed some light on this please.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.