It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

RRC2 to 3 Upgrade Trial?????

David Doughty (1812219) | asked Dec 20 '11, 5:05 a.m.
We're finally migrating our legacy RRC2 to 3011. Looking at the migration limitations on RRC2 to 3.0.1, it suggests that

The host name of the version 3.0.1 server must be the same as the host name for the version 2 server. This requires some coordination with server and network administrators if you intend to upgrade or physically move hardware.

While performing this on the production system; I want to test this on a UAT environment with a copy of the production data. My best first guess was to manaully recreate the upgrade on a separate server, dump the production database using repotools, and then recreate a new server. Can someone tell me why the "hostname" has to be the same? We use DNS aliases to refer to the server which I was going to fake in the windows host file on the UAT test server. Are there any other issues that I should be bothered about? I dont see an issue manually migrating the conf files(?)

Any thoughts from anyone who has dont a similar process???

One answer

permanent link
Robin Bater (3.4k47) | answered Dec 25 '11, 9:20 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
We're finally migrating our legacy RRC2 to 3011. Looking at the migration limitations on RRC2 to 3.0.1, it suggests that

The host name of the version 3.0.1 server must be the same as the host name for the version 2 server. This requires some coordination with server and network administrators if you intend to upgrade or physically move hardware.

While performing this on the production system; I want to test this on a UAT environment with a copy of the production data. My best first guess was to manaully recreate the upgrade on a separate server, dump the production database using repotools, and then recreate a new server. Can someone tell me why the "hostname" has to be the same? We use DNS aliases to refer to the server which I was going to fake in the windows host file on the UAT test server. Are there any other issues that I should be bothered about? I dont see an issue manually migrating the conf files(?)

Any thoughts from anyone who has dont a similar process???

Hi David,

Firstly, yes you should be able to "fake" the server name on the test server.

Secondly, here are some articles that talk about hostname public URI and why it cannot be changed

https://jazz.net/library/article/686

https://jazz.net/library/article/749

Server rename is a future enhancement

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.