It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Switching servers

Anthony Kesterton (7.5k7180136) | asked Jul 05 '11, 3:52 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi

I have a customer who wants to deploy RRC to a Windows server, with a DNS entry point to that specific machine (eg: rrcserver.xxx.yyy points to windows.box.A). They will access an Oracle database. At a later date, they want shut down the RRC app on windows, shut down the server, install RRC on a Linux server, point to the same Oracle database then correct the DNS entry to point to the new Linux server.

I can't think why this would not work - but anyone else see any potential problems?

thanks

anthony

One answer

permanent link
Nicolas Kruk (31) | answered Jul 12 '11, 1:00 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi

I have a customer who wants to deploy RRC to a Windows server, with a DNS entry point to that specific machine (eg: rrcserver.*.yyy points to windows.box.A). They will access an Oracle database. At a later date, they want shut down the RRC app on windows, shut down the server, install RRC on a Linux server, point to the same Oracle database then correct the DNS entry to point to the new Linux server.

I can't think why this would not work - but anyone else see any potential problems?

thanks

anthony

I'm not sure if this specific scenario is supported or if its been tested, but off the top of my head I can't see why it wouldn't work. What application server would RRC be running on? There are individual configuration steps depending on the app server that you would need to complete. But all things being equal, this should be possible assuming that you maintain the same hostname for the linux server as you did for the windows server (RRC 3.0 does not support changing of the server name/public uri).

Also in order for RRC to maintain the correct configurations with JTS and the Oracle database, you would need to copy any server configuration files from the old installation on the windows server to the new installation on the linux server.

The 3 files that come to mind would be:
1.)$SERVERHOME/server/conf/rm/friendsconfig.rdf
2.)$SERVERHOME/server/conf/rm/fronting.properties
3.)$SERVERHOME/server/conf/jts/teamserver.properties

I would also recommend making a backup of your database before attempting this, so you can always roll back if any mistakes are made.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.