It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

RTC 3.0.1 z/OS zimport issue

Donald Poulin (2249119107) | asked Dec 01 '11, 8:38 a.m.
At a customer site I am importing in 10 different artifact types (10 datasets). Each dataset relates to a specific zfolder in RTC I ran into problem with performance so I ran zimport initially and selected datasets 1-5 and in the job identified the RTC project area, zcmponent project and component - along with zfolders etc. I delivered those to a development stream that had the specific component in question. I then ran the import again selecting datasets 6-10 and delivered those to the stream. After delivery I now have 2 components under the stream with the exact same name - why? The initial component contains the zcomponent project with zfolders 1-5 and the second component contains the same zcomponent project with zfolders 6-10. All zfolders should be under one zcomponent project on one component. How do I fix?

9 answers

permanent link
Guy Slade (64158) | answered Dec 02 '11, 10:38 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi
I'm going to ignore 'in RTC I ran into problem with performance so I ran zimport' as it does not make a lot of sense to me and does not seem to be the primary issue here.
What I suspect has happened is...
1. You ran zImport once and which created a workspace with the component (say c1) in it. Which you then delivered into a stream
2. You ran zImport again and created a second workspace and a second component with the same name.

... now if you stop and think about this for a second.... that second workspace is completely divorced from the first workspace and also the stream you delivered the first workspace to. So although the component name is the same.... it is not the same component. So when you delivered it, you delivered a second component that just happened to have the same name as the first.

Anyway, so my bet is that is the case.... the way to make zImport aware of that first component you delivered is to use the "-s" parameter and specify the stream. zImport will then aware of the stream and will see that it contains a component with the same name as the one it is going to use for it's run and it will reuse that same stream rather than create a new one.

The documentation for this can be improved... Donald can you do me a favor and open an enhancement request for this and i will get it over to our doc team so it can be improved for the next release.

Guy

permanent link
Donald Poulin (2249119107) | answered Dec 02 '11, 1:11 p.m.
Hi
I'm going to ignore 'in RTC I ran into problem with performance so I ran zimport' as it does not make a lot of sense to me and does not seem to be the primary issue here.
What I suspect has happened is...
1. You ran zImport once and which created a workspace with the component (say c1) in it. Which you then delivered into a stream
2. You ran zImport again and created a second workspace and a second component with the same name.

... now if you stop and think about this for a second.... that second workspace is completely divorced from the first workspace and also the stream you delivered the first workspace to. So although the component name is the same.... it is not the same component. So when you delivered it, you delivered a second component that just happened to have the same name as the first.

Anyway, so my bet is that is the case.... the way to make zImport aware of that first component you delivered is to use the "-s" parameter and specify the stream. zImport will then aware of the stream and will see that it contains a component with the same name as the one it is going to use for it's run and it will reuse that same stream rather than create a new one.

The documentation for this can be improved... Donald can you do me a favor and open an enhancement request for this and i will get it over to our doc team so it can be improved for the next release

I did use the -s parameter which is why I wondered why it didn't use the same component in the stream. The performance thing caused me to do the split run which came out not as expected. I believe having to run multiple zimports to get all datasets/members imported into multiple folders under a single zComponent project area will be a fairly common situation. Merging the two identically named components after the fact is problematic. So clear examples of how to approach and execute through the situation would be helpful.
Guy

permanent link
John Riendeau (46626) | answered Dec 02 '11, 1:52 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
If you used the -s parameter, zimport should have used the component that already existed in the stream you pointed to, instead of creating a whole new one. If it did not, please file a defect so we can collect additional information and investigate further. Thanks!

- John

permanent link
Donald Poulin (2249119107) | answered Dec 05 '11, 9:16 a.m.
If you used the -s parameter, zimport should have used the component that already existed in the stream you pointed to, instead of creating a whole new one. If it did not, please file a defect so we can collect additional information and investigate further. Thanks!

- John

After reviewing it again I see the error was mine. I used the -s parameter but had not changed it to the new stream value after I completed some zimports to another stream.

permanent link
John Riendeau (46626) | answered Dec 05 '11, 9:18 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Glad to hear you got it sorted out. Thanks for following up and letting me know!

permanent link
Donald Poulin (2249119107) | answered Dec 05 '11, 11:00 a.m.
Glad to hear you got it sorted out. Thanks for following up and letting me know!

I have another question. I have zimported in 8 out of 10 PDS datasets for a specific zComponent project. I am now trying to pull in one of the last ones. In the mapping file I commented out the references to the 8 I have already loaded and then ran the zimport. Now I am getting -- CRHTC0415E Unable to create project because it already exists -- so how do I run to pick up the next PDS and have it added as a separate folder (from the other 8) to the existing zComponent project?

permanent link
John Riendeau (46626) | answered Dec 05 '11, 11:19 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
You're hitting a known bug -- 185931: zimport tries to create duplicate project when --stream option specified. It will be fixed in 3.0.1.3.

If you're getting close to the end of the import process and don't have too many more to do, you could try changing your mapping file to import to a new, temporary zComponent project. Once the zimport completes, you could then load the temporary zComponent project, as well as your actual zComponent project into your Eclipse workspace and move the zFolder over. You could then delete the temporary zComponent project from the repository. Please note: you must use the "Move..." context menu option to move the zFolder from the temporary zComponent project to the real one. When I tested this out, if I copied/pasted instead, all the versionable properties (where we store data set definition and language definition associations) were lost. Using "Move..." instead preserved them.

Alternatively, you could go through your support channels -- since you're running into a confirmed bug in the product, they may be able to help get you a fix early.

permanent link
Donald Poulin (2249119107) | answered Dec 05 '11, 1:11 p.m.
You're hitting a known bug -- 185931: zimport tries to create duplicate project when --stream option specified. It will be fixed in 3.0.1.3.

If you're getting close to the end of the import process and don't have too many more to do, you could try changing your mapping file to import to a new, temporary zComponent project. Once the zimport completes, you could then load the temporary zComponent project, as well as your actual zComponent project into your Eclipse workspace and move the zFolder over. You could then delete the temporary zComponent project from the repository. Please note: you must use the "Move..." context menu option to move the zFolder from the temporary zComponent project to the real one. When I tested this out, if I copied/pasted instead, all the versionable properties (where we store data set definition and language definition associations) were lost. Using "Move..." instead preserved them.

Alternatively, you could go through your support channels -- since you're running into a confirmed bug in the product, they may be able to help get you a fix early.

Ok - trying to zimport to a new zComponent project. Now I am getting the original error associated with this PDS. This is an SDF II source dataset and I had an error regarding line delimiter so I removed the language association and am now getting ---- File /MNT.SCM.SB.DGIPNL/PPIBALO has line delimiter Platform but the contents contain mixed line delimiters.
Either set the delimiter to NONE or convert the contents to one type of line
delimiter. --- If I don't associate a language - or even if I do associate a language with the input members how do I set the delimiter value? These members have no extensions in the name

permanent link
John Riendeau (46626) | answered Dec 06 '11, 8:34 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Sorry, I haven't seen anything like this before or know what could be causing this. I'd recommend pursuing this through support, so we can investigate further.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.