It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Are components first class objects?

Frank Schophuizen (19323226) | asked Nov 10 '11, 2:07 a.m.
From what I read I get the impression that a component is merely a source tree. adding more components to a stream means adding more source trees to the stream.

Question: can components be first class objects.

In our organization we want to build up a library (we could call it 'component catalogue') containing components such as drivers, OS packages and also high level control components, that can be used to compose products of. Each of the components will exist of evolutionary versions (e.g. v1.0, v1.1, v1.2, v2.0), of regional variants (e.g. Europe, US, Far East, South America) and of technology variants (e.g. Win32, Win64, Linux, RTOS).
Further more, a component can be a complete system already assembled from lower-level components for a particular customer and ready to be tweaked for another customer or as a reference architecture.

Each of these components not only has (one or more) source trees, but also has a set of requirements that apply and correspondingly a set of testcases. So, the scope extends to RTC, RRC and RQM.

And since there are variants (e.g. regional variants and technology variants), we would like to be able to tag components so that we can do queries like "What powercontrol components for Win32 technology for the European market do we have?" or "Which requirements are supported for South America no Linux platforms?" Note that a component may have multiple tags of the same type (e.g. regional tags Europe + US). These queries form the basis for the decision which components should be included in (a stream of) a project.

I have not found information how to organize this with Jazz. Any idea?

Thanks,
Frank.

Be the first one to answer this question!

Register or to post your answer.