It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Restrict changing state prior to approval.

Robin Parker (32633739) | asked Jul 12 '10, 6:39 a.m.
Hi all,

I've a project set up just for investigation into RTC's capabilities. At the moment three of us are using it for our day to day task management so that we get a good idea of how it all works etc. Our current project is using the 'Simple Team Process' that is shipped with RTC.

What we'd like to be able to do is add an approver to a task and set it up so that you can't start working on the task until it has been approved.

My thought was to go into 'Team Configuration -> Event Handling' and add something in there that fires on 'Work Item State Changed Event'. However, there is nothing available for this event. Nor is there anything available for any of the other events in that screen.

Can someone please let me in on what I'm missing? :)

Many Thanks,

Robin

2 answers

permanent link
Robin Parker (32633739) | answered Jul 12 '10, 6:53 a.m.
Ok, so I found a way. In 'Team Configuration->Operation Behaviour' you can add a 'Required Approvals' precondition to 'Save Work Item (Server)' which does the job.

I'm still confused where there are no options available in the 'Event Handling' section though. Is there where I'm supposed to be able to add code?

TIA

Robin

permanent link
Robin Parker (32633739) | answered Jul 12 '10, 8:17 a.m.
Hmmm, so this doesn't quite do what I wanted.

What I wanted was, if an approval was listed on the record, then that approval must have been approved.

The solution above does that but also insists that there is at least one approval. I only want it restricted if an approval is actually required though.

Clearly I can go down the seperate record type route but there must be a better way...

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.