It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Use Team Concert WithOut the Visual Studio Plugging

David Israel Valdez Rodriguez (21) | asked Nov 02 '11, 10:30 p.m.
Hello, My name is David Valdez, Im new in this topic about team concert, Ive configured all the thing that I need to deal with this application, Im using Visual Studio 2008, my concert is:

Can I use Visual Studio with Rational Team Concert without using the plugging for Visual Studio?

what I mean is: With the Visual Studio plugging I Can do Check-In, associate workItem, so and so, I wonder if I can do the same but withOut the Plugging..

By the way Im Domincan so Sorry if I wrotte something wrong, Im watting any Answer about this question

7 answers

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33645) | answered Nov 03 '11, 4:13 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi David,

without the VS Client installed I don't see a way to work with MS VS for SCM. Partially because I think MS VS makes assumptions about SCM systems. You could use the Eclipse Client to load the data to disc I guess but it would be very clumsy.

You can use the Web UI for many things but that would give you only very limited SCM capabilities.

Why do you hesitate to install the client?

permanent link
David Israel Valdez Rodriguez (21) | answered Nov 03 '11, 8:05 a.m.
Hi David,

without the VS Client installed I don't see a way to work with MS VS for SCM. Partially because I think MS VS makes assumptions about SCM systems. You could use the Eclipse Client to load the data to disc I guess but it would be very clumsy.

You can use the Web UI for many things but that would give you only very limited SCM capabilities.

hehe, is my boss who doesnt want to use the plugging he was looking a way to do what I just asked...

permanent link
David Israel Valdez Rodriguez (21) | answered Nov 03 '11, 8:11 a.m.
Hi David,

hehe, is my boss who doesnt want to use the plugging he was looking a way to do what I just asked...

Thanks for your answer

permanent link
David Israel Valdez Rodriguez (21) | answered Nov 03 '11, 1:08 p.m.
Hi David,

rschoon:

So if I want to use Visual Studio with Team Concert I need the plugging?

So if that is the case we are going to install the Visual Studio Plugging so we can use the SCM System and for Eclipse do I have to install the Eclipse Plugging?

beside those two tools Visual Studio and Eclipse, is there any way in the SCM with Team Concert So I can manage the version control of my applications using Check-In and Check-Out with Team Concert?

So if your answer is Not wich tool do you recommend me so I can achive what I want, my concert is due to I want to use another Devolopment Tools beside Eclipse and Visual Studio...

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33645) | answered Nov 04 '11, 3:17 a.m.
To use RTC SCM with MS Visual Studio, install the Visual Studio client - it knows the VS semantics and knows which files to check in etc. Follow the help provided from the download page https://jazz.net/downloads/rational-team-concert/releases/3.0.1.1?p=gettingStarted and the help provided.

To use RTC SCM with Eclipse, install the Eclipse client alone or install it into an existing Eclipse - again, follow the documentation and help provided from the page above.

If you want to use the SCM system with other applications you have two options after sharing the files with the Jazz SCM:

1. Use one of the clients SCM systems to load the files to the local disk. Edit them and refresh the explorer after you did the external changes. That is how I do it.

2. Download the file using the Web UI. Edit the file and upload the changed file.

permanent link
David Israel Valdez Rodriguez (21) | answered Nov 08 '11, 10:24 a.m.
To use RTC SCM with MS Visual Studio, install the Visual Studio client - it knows the VS semantics and knows which files to check in etc. Follow the help provided from the download page https://jazz.net/downloads/rational-team-concert/releases/3.0.1.1?p=gettingStarted and the help provided.

To use RTC SCM with Eclipse, install the Eclipse client alone or install it into an existing Eclipse - again, follow the documentation and help provided from the page above.

If you want to use the SCM system with other applications you have two options after sharing the files with the Jazz SCM:

1. Use one of the clients SCM systems to load the files to the local disk. Edit them and refresh the explorer after you did the external changes. That is how I do it.

2. Download the file using the Web UI. Edit the file and upload the changed file.

Good answer, doing what you told me, do i Will have a Control version of all the changes that I will be applying to my project at the moment of the refreshment in the browser??? and if your answer is yes Team Concert will take all the changes automaticamente or I will have to write a name for each change that I apply to my project with the options that you told me? My idea is to do Check-In and Check-Out and have a Control version beside any Visual Studio or Eclipse Plugging with the Team Concert ALM and SCM....

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33645) | answered Nov 08 '11, 11:27 a.m.
Please follow https://jazz.net/projects/rational-team-concert/features/scm for a quick overview of how the SCM works. Try it with a test project. You can also follow the help from the web site e.g. http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/clmhelp/v3r0m1/index.jsp

RTC has no check out. You check in changes that are shown in the clients after refresh to your personal work space and deliver to the stream you share with others. During check in/deliver you can configure rules if a comment or work item s required for checking in. All changes checked in can be arranged in change sets that are unmodifiable once completed (manually or at deliver). You can lock files on a stream to notify others they can't check them in and shouldn't change them.

If downloading from a stream using the web UI you can lock, uploading is a deliver operation.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.