It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

RTC support for NANT

David Dulling (13731212) | asked Jul 26 '10, 9:04 a.m.
Apologies is this has been asked before but I understand that RTC builds support ANT but are there any plans to support NANT? I've read some details about the extra ANT tasks provided with RTC to notify RTC of the build progress and make sure the build area has accepted all change sets etc which are very useful but am concerned that I may not have equivilent functionality with my NANT build scripts.

We mainly use Visual Studio developing C# applications and currently use CruiseControl for continuous integration but calling NANT build scripts to perform the main build. We use a range of VS versions from 2..5 right up to 2010 and .NET 2 up to .NET 4

For those people who have a similar setup and are successfully using RTC build engines etc., I would be very interested to know what scripting tools you use to manage the builds themselves.

Thanks in advance

David

8 answers

permanent link
Jean-Michel Lemieux (2.5k11) | answered Jul 26 '10, 2:48 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi David,

I've integrated a .bat file based build system with Team Concert not because team concert supports .bat files, but because it's rather simple to call out to Ant and use the build toolkit we provide from any language.

I outlined a quick overview of the .bat file calls in

http://jazz.net/blog/index.php/2008/11/14/integrating-visual-studio-builds-with-team-concert/

You could do something similar form NANT.

:StartActivity
java -cp %CLASSPATH% %ANT_LAUNCHER% -f %DEST_DIR_PATH%\RTC.NET Client\jazzBuildTasks.xml -lib %JAZZ_TOOLKIT% -DuserId=%BUILD_USER_ID% -DpasswordFile=%JBE_PASS_FILE% -DrepositoryAddress=%REPOSITORY_URL% -DbuildResultUUID=%BUILD_UUID% -DactivityLabel=%1 startActivity
GOTO :EOF

:PublishFile
java -cp %CLASSPATH% %ANT_LAUNCHER% -f %DEST_DIR_PATH%\RTC.NET Client\jazzBuildTasks.xml -lib %JAZZ_TOOLKIT% -DuserId=%BUILD_USER_ID% -DpasswordFile=%JBE_PASS_FILE% -DrepositoryAddress=%REPOSITORY_URL% -DbuildResultUUID=%BUILD_UUID% -Dfile=%1 -Dlabel=%2 -Dtype=%3 publishFile
GOTO :EOF

Jean-Michel

permanent link
David Dulling (13731212) | answered Jul 26 '10, 4:50 p.m.
Thanks for your prompt response.

I'll certainly have a read of this information.

Is it possible to ask whether there's any in-built check that a personal build has completed successfully before allowing changesets to be delivered to the main stream?

Thanks again

permanent link
Jean-Michel Lemieux (2.5k11) | answered Jul 26 '10, 5:13 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi David,

We have something planned around 'gated checkin', not sure if it will make 3.0, but we could get something simple in place. We have all the pieces with repo workspaces and personal builds, etc...

See 63209: block delivery of a change when a particular build (e.g. a personal build) is not green (gated deliver)

Jean-Michel

permanent link
Jean-Michel Lemieux (2.5k11) | answered Jul 26 '10, 5:13 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi David,

We have something planned around 'gated checkin', not sure if it will make 3.0, but we could get something simple in place. We have all the pieces with repo workspaces and personal builds, etc...

See 63209: block delivery of a change when a particular build (e.g. a personal build) is not green (gated deliver)

Jean-Michel

permanent link
Nick Edgar (6.5k711) | answered Jul 27 '10, 12:09 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
See also the support for Visual Studio builds in 3.0:
https://jazz.net/downloads/rational-team-concert/milestones/3.0M7a?p=news#buildtemplate

permanent link
David Dulling (13731212) | answered Jul 27 '10, 12:22 p.m.
That looks extremely useful. Will there be a way of passing parameters or properties to Devenv.exe i.e. Debug or Release? (I'm not a VS expert but I believe these properties or parameters will cause the MSIs to be produced - or not)

Thanks

Dave

permanent link
Nick Edgar (6.5k711) | answered Jul 27 '10, 1:38 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Below the Build Log field shown in the screen shot, there are the following fields:
- Additional arguments
- Properties file
- Working directory

So the args for Debug or Release could be added in the Additional arguments field.
If these are common choices though, maybe they should be given first class support in the UI.

permanent link
Krishna Kishore (50112) | answered Jul 28 '10, 12:37 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Below the Build Log field shown in the screen shot, there are the following fields:
- Additional arguments
- Properties file
- Working directory

So the args for Debug or Release could be added in the Additional arguments field.
If these are common choices though, maybe they should be given first class support in the UI.

The build configurations are not predefined(even Debug/Release can be deleted from a solution), they can be custom defined by a user for a particular solution. In the "Microsoft Build" page their is a separate field "Build Configuration" where the user can specify the configuration to build.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.