It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Ascending/descending order for custom enumerations

Phillip Piper (15812524) | asked Oct 24 '11, 2:55 p.m.
How are these orders defined for a custom enumeration whose values consist of text strings? From my testing it isn't based on the order in which the fields are defined in the enumeration configuration or even lexographically on the enumerations values.

It almost looks like it's essentially the order in which the values were created (or lexicographically on the enumeration literal's IDs) becomes the Ascending order.

Can anyone help me with this?

3 answers

permanent link
Thomas Loeber (62237850) | answered Oct 25 '11, 10:12 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
How are these orders defined for a custom enumeration whose values consist of text strings? From my testing it isn't based on the order in which the fields are defined in the enumeration configuration or even lexographically on the enumerations values.

It almost looks like it's essentially the order in which the values were created (or lexicographically on the enumeration literal's IDs) becomes the Ascending order.

The enumerations do have an order in which they can be placed in the process configuration editor. You select a value and move up or down. Are you saying this doesn't appear to work for you?

permanent link
Phillip Piper (15812524) | answered Oct 25 '11, 10:24 a.m.

The enumerations do have an order in which they can be placed in the process configuration editor. You select a value and move up or down. Are you saying this doesn't appear to work for you?

Tom, what I am saying is that the order you mention is a display order but doesn't seem to have any impact on the order in which it displayed when you sort a column in a query by either ascending or descending from what I can see. I wanted to know how the sort order is defined so I can create enumerations that show the query results in the orders we want.

permanent link
Phillip Piper (15812524) | answered Nov 10 '11, 9:32 a.m.
To close the loop on this thread, I've tested this and I have a solution. It requires modifying the process configuration source so that you changed the enumeration literal IDs (and any references to them to match). It seems the ascending order is based on the IDs. However, any work item that used the old enumeration literal will now display that old ID instead of the value and there will be a need to re-map all values of that enumeration. This would end up being a fair amount of work.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.