It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Error bad major version at offset=6

Brian Cam (63188) | asked Jul 29 '11, 2:17 p.m.
I installed RQM 3.0.1 and it's been running fine. Now I want to set up tomcat to run as a service. So I followed the direction at http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/clmhelp/v3r0m1/topic/com.ibm.jazz.install.doc/topics/t_run_rqm64_win_service.html. The service is installed and comes up fine. But when I try to login RQM I get the following error: com/microsoft/sqlserver/jdbc/SQLServerDriver) bad major version at offset=6. This sounds like a mismatch of sqlserver driver somewhere. But I can't figure out where. I have only sqljdbc4.jar in server\sqlserver directory. Could somebody please tell me where and what to check? Thanks.

5 answers

permanent link
John Nason (2.4k1012) | answered Aug 01 '11, 3:35 p.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
"bad major offset" errors are the JRE's non-intuitive way of informing the end user that you're trying to load a class file that is not compatible with the JRE that is running. In this context, it means you're trying to load a Java6 jar (sqljdbc4.jar) with a Java5 VM (what RQM runs under in a Tomcat deployment).
You need the SQL Server JDBC 2.0 driver, not 3.0 or 4.0.
Reference: http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/clmhelp/v3r0m1/topic/com.ibm.jazz.install.doc/topics/t_s_server_installation_setup_sql.html

Hope that helps.

permanent link
Brian Cam (63188) | answered Aug 02 '11, 3:16 p.m.
Actually, I'm using SQL Server driver 2.0. It includes sqljdbc.jar and sqljdbc4.jar. Your explanation makes sense because I got it to work after I replaced sqljdbc4.jar in sqlserver folder with sqljdbc.jar and set SQLSERVER_JDBC_DRIVER_FILE to point to sqljdbc.jar. To my understanding sqljdbc.jar is for Java5 and sqljdbc4.jar is for Java6. I only have Java6 installed on my machine. How do I force RQM to run under Java6 VM? Thanks.

Brian

permanent link
Michael M. Rosario Báez (61) | answered May 30 '12, 12:33 p.m.
Any news about this issues?

Actually, I'm using SQL Server driver 2.0. It includes sqljdbc.jar and sqljdbc4.jar. Your explanation makes sense because I got it to work after I replaced sqljdbc4.jar in sqlserver folder with sqljdbc.jar and set SQLSERVER_JDBC_DRIVER_FILE to point to sqljdbc.jar. To my understanding sqljdbc.jar is for Java5 and sqljdbc4.jar is for Java6. I only have Java6 installed on my machine. How do I force RQM to run under Java6 VM? Thanks.

Brian

permanent link
Robert Rassmann (9923) | answered May 30 '12, 2:32 p.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Any news about this issues?

Brian

It can't be done. RQM 3.x will only run with Java5. RQM 4.x will run with Java6.

permanent link
James Paulus (20622135) | answered Nov 05 '12, 3:16 p.m.
I'm having the same problem.   We have Java 5, Update 15 on the server as we are installing 3.0.1.3 and are seeing this problem.   Has there been a solution to this?   I tried to follow the steps listed here and I'm still getting the error.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.