It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

working with big web site?

Franklyn Santana (2621) | asked Jul 25 '11, 4:09 p.m.
Hello, we are web developers using RTC. We have a web site with serveral sections (or modules). Right now we are creating a project and sharing source code for every section we start to work with. what's the best way to work this scenario? is it better to have the whole site managed by RTC source control? if so, will we have a complete copy of the web site every time we start a new project? Please, some advice.. maybe I'm in the wrong path...

4 answers

permanent link
Tim Mok (6.6k38) | answered Jul 26 '11, 10:47 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hello, we are web developers using RTC. We have a web site with serveral sections (or modules). Right now we are creating a project and sharing source code for every section we start to work with. what's the best way to work this scenario? is it better to have the whole site managed by RTC source control? if so, will we have a complete copy of the web site every time we start a new project? Please, some advice.. maybe I'm in the wrong path...
When you say "sharing source code", do you mean that sections have common code? If you don't want to duplicate this, you can put the common code in its own component. A new website can be in its own stream (same project area or new one, your preference) and can add the common component.

permanent link
Franklyn Santana (2621) | answered Jul 26 '11, 4:20 p.m.
sorry for my english :p

When I said modules I didn't mean team concert modules.. it's just a division of the web site in sections, like news, gallery, forum, etc..

so, we create a project named News where we work with the news section and we share the news project files via team concert. If we will work with the forum, we'll do the same.. We started like this cause we were in a rush and this was the fastest way to have the code and have the site running on all developer's computers (right now we see the sections as small projects) . Now, what's the ideal team concert way? to have the whole site files in one project? can we create new projects for the same source code? I mean, use the same source code for different teams on different projects?

permanent link
Tim Mok (6.6k38) | answered Jul 27 '11, 8:55 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
It's OK if your modules are in different project areas. When you want to use those modules in a website, you can add the component that has the module to your team's stream. You can add the component to many different streams so it's easy to share the code across projects. If there are any changes to the modules, make them in the stream where you originally started. Any web sites consuming those modules can accept those changes or they can keep on working with the older version of the modules.

As long as a user has access to the project area that has your modules and access to the project area for the web site he is working on, he can access the necessary code to work on the web site.

For Team Concert, there is the Jazz Foundation that is a required set of code that exists in another project area. Previously, the protocol was to add the components from the Jazz Foundation to streams in Team Concert. It doesn't matter that the owner of the components is Jazz Foundation as long as permissions are set correctly. I think this is kind of what you want to do and what your team has done sounds normal.

permanent link
Franklyn Santana (2621) | answered Aug 01 '11, 11:08 a.m.
It's OK if your modules are in different project areas. When you want to use those modules in a website, you can add the component that has the module to your team's stream. You can add the component to many different streams so it's easy to share the code across projects. If there are any changes to the modules, make them in the stream where you originally started. Any web sites consuming those modules can accept those changes or they can keep on working with the older version of the modules.

As long as a user has access to the project area that has your modules and access to the project area for the web site he is working on, he can access the necessary code to work on the web site.

For Team Concert, there is the Jazz Foundation that is a required set of code that exists in another project area. Previously, the protocol was to add the components from the Jazz Foundation to streams in Team Concert. It doesn't matter that the owner of the components is Jazz Foundation as long as permissions are set correctly. I think this is kind of what you want to do and what your team has done sounds normal.

Thanks a lot!! I will check the documentation about sharing components over different projects.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.