It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Building accross multiple os's

Adam Hawks (113) | asked Oct 03 '11, 11:02 p.m.
I have a large application that has multple parts.
Most of it is pure java so the Jazz Build Engine can work with that code just fine.

But part of that Java code calls native code via JNI.

The application is supported on multiple OS's so I need the build to compile the JNI code for each supported OS.

I need the build request to do the following on three build machines each running the Jazz Build Engine

1) build some java code (on Windows build machine)
2) request JNI code to be compiled (on AIX build machine)
3) request JNI code to be compiled (on Linux build machine)
4) build some more java code (on Windows machine in #1)
5) package #1, #2, #3 and #4 and copy build results to a common build location and public artifact link (URL) to RTC build results

So my question is.....
Can I have a build request to the Jazz Build Engine on a Windows build machine at some point in its Ant script request a JNI build on another build machine running the Jazz Build Engine which is a Linux or AIX OS?

And if so is there any docs or links on how this could be done?

One answer

permanent link
Brent Ulbricht (2.5k11) | answered Oct 04 '11, 8:36 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
I have a large application that has multple parts.
Most of it is pure java so the Jazz Build Engine can work with that code just fine.

But part of that Java code calls native code via JNI.

The application is supported on multiple OS's so I need the build to compile the JNI code for each supported OS.

I need the build request to do the following on three build machines each running the Jazz Build Engine

1) build some java code (on Windows build machine)
2) request JNI code to be compiled (on AIX build machine)
3) request JNI code to be compiled (on Linux build machine)
4) build some more java code (on Windows machine in #1)
5) package #1, #2, #3 and #4 and copy build results to a common build location and public artifact link (URL) to RTC build results

So my question is.....
Can I have a build request to the Jazz Build Engine on a Windows build machine at some point in its Ant script request a JNI build on another build machine running the Jazz Build Engine which is a Linux or AIX OS?

And if so is there any docs or links on how this could be done?

I would suggest taking a look at the requestTeamBuild and waitForTeamBuild Ant tasks. You would have one main build definition that calls an Ant build file that does its main build portion but also uses the Ant tasks to request builds of other build definitions and waits for them to complete. This topic was about increasing performance of a build, but the same concepts apply for breaking a build into its different parts.

Brent Ulbricht
RTC Build Lead

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.