It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Error Importing CSV RRC 3.0.1

Brian DiCola (29311415) | asked Jul 13 '11, 2:00 p.m.
Running Requirements Composer 3.0.1.

Received this error when trying to import a CSV file.

Errors were received while processing the comma-separated values (CSV) file.
ID CRRRW7571E Errors were received while processing the comma-separated values (CSV) file.
Errors were received while importing the CSV file:

Validation Errors:
Row Number: 1
Error Message: "CRRRS4212E Server encountered an exception while executing the export operation : "CRRRS4203E Record can not contain less rows than the header record.""

I have had a lot of success actually importing other files. I've narrowed it down to a single bad row in the file as follows:

Type,Title,Primary Text,Migration Number,Service Component,Supplemental Material,Reference
Requirement,FRQ.ENT.001.016.002,"The system will notify the user when the updated record has been marked as ""active""",1,Notification,Rules,"Derived from legacy system (CCR, FedReg, ORCA) functionality"

I set up custom attributes and can manually enter this data with no problems.

Regarding the error message itself, strange that the error references an "export" error number, when I'm importing. And how can a single record contain less rows than the header? Shouldn't "row" be "field"?

Accepted answer

permanent link
Daniel Moul (4.9k1318) | answered Jul 13 '11, 4:32 p.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
The order of the fields (columns) shouldn't matter.

A quotation mark is especially significant in CSV files (defining the edge of each field); thus when they occur in the middle of a field you need to "escape" them as defined in http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4180

You can read more here:
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/clmhelp/v3r0m1/index.jsp?topic=/com.ibm.rational.rrm.help.doc/topics/r_csv_format.html
Brian DiCola selected this answer as the correct answer

2 other answers

permanent link
Daniel Moul (4.9k1318) | answered Jul 13 '11, 2:33 p.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
I suggest you double-check that you are properly escaping the quotation marks (") as per the RFC that defines the CSV format and related behavior. See the help system (info center) for more info).

permanent link
Brian DiCola (29311415) | answered Jul 13 '11, 4:26 p.m.
This does not work:
Type,Title,Migration Number,Service Component,Supplemental Material,Primary Text,Reference
Requirement,FRQ.ENT.001.016.002,1,Notification,Rules,"The system will notify the user when the updated record has been marked as ""active""","Derived from legacy system (CCR, FedReg, ORCA) functionality"

This does work:
Type,Title,Migration Number,Service Component,Supplemental Material,Reference,Primary Text
Requirement,FRQ.ENT.001.016.002,1,Notification,Rules,"Derived from legacy system (CCR, FedReg, ORCA) functionality","The system will notify the user when the updated record has been marked as ""active"""

Is it a rule of the import utility that any strings containing quotes must be the last field in the row?

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.