It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Exclude components to load in dependency zOS builds

Luis Bazo (6832019) | asked Jul 13 '11, 7:24 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi guys,

Is there any chance to exclude components to load, as it can be done for java ant build definitions, in dependency builds for zOS? There is a lot disk consume space by loading java components on the same stream that cobol components if we don't do anything with java those cobol components in the zOS.

There is a way to define what components not to build but it would be nice if we can also avoid loading those components we are not interested to build.

Thanks

5 answers

permanent link
Stefan Hoffmann (14411820) | answered Jul 15 '11, 4:21 a.m.
Hi,

So if you are on the rtc-component level, how about configuring the build repository workspace to include only the needed components?

You can do this in the build definition, Jazz Source Control-z/OS, then open the repository workspace (with the "Workspace:*" link). In the repository workspace you can change the flow target with "edit" to just flow with the components you select. Then the flow target is "scoped" and should only accept the selected component in the next build.

Stefan

permanent link
Guy Slade (64158) | answered Jul 15 '11, 9:18 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi
I'm not sure I understand what the problem is. If you are talking about what we load on z/OS then there should be no issue. The Java artifacts will not get loaded into USS as they do not have language definitions associated to them so we don't look at them.
If you are talking about what gets loaded into the repository workspace used during the dependency build, then again I don't see an issue as the repository workspace really only contains pointers to the artifacts and not actual copies of the artifacts.
Please explain what your perceived problem is in a little more detail. The title to this post says 'dependency zOS build' but if Stephan is right in his guess are you are really talking about a non dependency component based build then we have an entirely different picture.

thanks
Guy

permanent link
Stefan Hoffmann (14411820) | answered Jul 15 '11, 11:48 a.m.
Hi,

There are definitely some non z/OS parts which are loaded to the USS file system (the unix path defined in the build definition), so at least the custom build.xml file you can use. So I think it It would be interesting to know how do you distinguish between the parts the get loaded (e.g. the build.xml) and the rest of the stream which is not marked as a zOS folder (which can also be a java project).
And there are also files loaded to the tmp part of the uss filesystem, but I haven't looked deeply into this.

Stefan

permanent link
Luis Bazo (6832019) | answered Jul 27 '11, 7:15 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi,

There are definitely some non z/OS parts which are loaded to the USS file system (the unix path defined in the build definition), so at least the custom build.xml file you can use. So I think it It would be interesting to know how do you distinguish between the parts the get loaded (e.g. the build.xml) and the rest of the stream which is not marked as a zOS folder (which can also be a java project).
And there are also files loaded to the tmp part of the uss filesystem, but I haven't looked deeply into this.

Stefan

Hi guys,

I'm going to explain a little bit more in detail the problem,

1. These are dependency based builds
2. I have a stream called INTEGRATION with 2 components Java and Cobol.
3. I create a workspace on INTEGRATION. Workspace use for build definitions.
4. Then, the repository workspace created contains 2 components (Java with 3000 files and Cobol with 1 cobol file)
3. The build definition (dependency based) is configured with load directory property set to /tmp/builds

Scenario 1:

I remove from repository workspace component Java before executing build definition. At this moment just component Cobol is on workspace.

Even removing the Java Component, as a snaphost of the workspace is made by the build definition, all the stream components (Java and Cobol) are added so Java is added again to the workspace and when the build definition is run I find on /tmp/builds 2 folders one called Java with 3000 files on it and other called Cobol with just one file.

Scenario 2:

I don't remove from workspace component Java and I have both Java and Cobol.

Same result as scenario 1.

Question:

How to avoid creation and load of Java folder on /tmp/builds in zOS?

Thanks guys!!!!

permanent link
Luis Bazo (6832019) | answered Jul 27 '11, 7:24 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi,

Stefan

Hi guys,

I'm going to explain a little bit more in detail the problem,

1. These are dependency based builds
2. I have a stream called INTEGRATION with 2 components Java and Cobol.
3. I create a workspace on INTEGRATION. Workspace use for build definitions.
4. Then, the repository workspace created contains 2 components (Java with 3000 files and Cobol with 1 cobol file)
3. The build definition (dependency based) is configured with load directory property set to /tmp/builds

Scenario 1:

I remove from repository workspace component Java before executing build definition. At this moment just component Cobol is on workspace.

Even removing the Java Component, as a snaphost of the workspace is made by the build definition, all the stream components (Java and Cobol) are added so Java is added again to the workspace and when the build definition is run I find on /tmp/builds 2 folders one called Java with 3000 files on it and other called Cobol with just one file.

Scenario 2:

I don't remove from workspace component Java and I have both Java and Cobol.

Same result as scenario 1.

Question:

How to avoid creation and load of Java folder on /tmp/builds in zOS?

Thanks guys!!!!

Hi again guys,

I found the flow target configuration of the workspace and probably this is my problem. My flow target is configured to be the stream and this is probably why all the components are loaded. I'm going to check that I let you know if works.

I hope so!!

Thanks a lot for you help!!!!

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.