It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

My Work view and multiple timelines

Peter Haumer (2.2k12019) | asked Jun 24 '11, 3:21 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hello. Is this correct? The My Works view only shows the items of the project timeline in the Current Work section, but not the other timelines?

We have other parallel timelines that are marked as current and have current dates assigned to them, but my items of these iterations only appear in the Future Work section.

How do I plan my work across all the different timelines to which I have to deliver work?

In addition, I would actually like to do this even across projects as I have work items in several projects, how can I plan my work in this scenario without switch the My Work view from project to project?

Thanks for any tips,
Peter.

Comments
Michael Prentice commented May 24 '13, 1:18 p.m.

We need this information too. Currently we are having to tell our developers to go look at the Plan view to figure out their work. The 'My Work view' and quiery is useless as it gives them their work for the entire release (6 months for a Formal Project process, non-Agile) and for many members that is 100 work items. The query does not show an ordering of start/end dates because that is only stored in the Plan and not on the work items.

We really would rather have the developers just run a my work item query to get their ordered work with start/end dates, but we don't want to go in and enter them to the work items statically, because then one change creates a ton of work to update 100+ other work items. We need the dynamic scheduling of the plan, but we need a way to run queries against that data and it needs to be built into RTC.

2 answers

permanent link
jean-claude vauthier (22634856) | answered Jun 27 '11, 1:55 p.m.
I do have a similar question. I have a project with project members working on work items related to different timelines. At the end of each week depending on the work item priority across the different timelines each team member works more or less on a given timeline. First of all I can't create any team area because a team area is related to a timeline. Then it looks like using work item queries is the only way to manage the work of a team member across timelines. It seems to me that it is very difficult to plan and to manage parallel developments with RTC. I would be very interested to have information on this topic.

permanent link
jean-claude vauthier (22634856) | answered Jun 27 '11, 2:06 p.m.
The question is probably somewhere related to this story :
Story 99309 : Support plans that span timelines

and also this one :

Story 94056: As a user I want to define/view a product plan that spans multiple timelines

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.