It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Headless install environment

Sterling Bates (2311612) | asked Jun 30 '09, 11:50 a.m.
It seems that the install manager for 2.0 requires a UI (launches Firefox), which is hampering my deployment to a server a thousand miles away. I've tried exporting the X display, and while Firefox does start it never loads any content.

I'd prefer to use the install manager for future migration purposes, unless the unzip method will always support migration (though perhaps with greater effort).

Any workarounds, or reassurances about unzip deployment?

6 answers

permanent link
Jose Miguel Ordax Cassa (2.4k4126100) | answered Jun 30 '09, 2:05 p.m.
sbates wrote:
It seems that the install manager for 2.0 requires a UI (launches
Firefox), which is hampering my deployment to a server a thousand
miles away. I've tried exporting the X display, and while Firefox
does start it never loads any content.

I'd prefer to use the install manager for future migration purposes,
unless the unzip method will always support migration (though perhaps
with greater effort).

That is launchpad.exe/sh command which shows a HTML page with a menu of
options. But I think you can go directly to Installation Manager and add
the local repositories manually. In Windows download is at
\rtc\win32\install.exe so for your Unix environment should be something
similar.

Hope this helps,

Chemi.

permanent link
Jose Miguel Ordax Cassa (2.4k4126100) | answered Jun 30 '09, 2:09 p.m.
Chemi wrote:
sbates wrote:
It seems that the install manager for 2.0 requires a UI (launches
Firefox), which is hampering my deployment to a server a thousand
miles away. I've tried exporting the X display, and while Firefox
does start it never loads any content.

I'd prefer to use the install manager for future migration purposes,
unless the unzip method will always support migration (though perhaps
with greater effort).

That is launchpad.exe/sh command which shows a HTML page with a menu of
options. But I think you can go directly to Installation Manager and add
the local repositories manually. In Windows download is at
\rtc\win32\install.exe so for your Unix environment should be something
similar.

Hope this helps,

Chemi.

In parallel, I forgot to mention that Installation Manager supports
headless mode (silent install):
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/install/v1r2/index.jsp?topic=/com.ibm.silentinstall12.doc/topics/c_silent_roadmap.html

Regards,

Chemi.

permanent link
Sterling Bates (2311612) | answered Jul 02 '09, 4:05 p.m.
In parallel, I forgot to mention that Installation Manager supports headless mode (silent install):
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/install/v1r2/index.jsp?topic=/com.ibm.silentinstall12.doc/topics/c_silent_roadmap.html

Thanks very much Chemi, I neglected to search for "silent install". I'll give that a shot.

permanent link
Sterling Bates (2311612) | answered Jul 06 '09, 12:32 a.m.
It turns out no matter what I do I get a batch of "Gtk", "GLib" and "Gdk" errors dumped to the console (even after setting the DISPLAY var). I copied the install-server.xml file to install.xml, then ran "./install -silent -installAll", and it fails with the mentioned errors. (That's the only command that doesn't generate other exceptions beyond the window errors.)

It's extremely frustrating to say the least that a silent install tries to create a window, but that's not Jazz's fault.

Any other ideas?

permanent link
James Stuckey (63634) | answered Jul 07 '09, 3:09 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
It turns out no matter what I do I get a batch of "Gtk", "GLib" and "Gdk" errors dumped to the console (even after setting the DISPLAY var). I copied the install-server.xml file to install.xml, then ran "./install -silent -installAll", and it fails with the mentioned errors. (That's the only command that doesn't generate other exceptions beyond the window errors.)

It's extremely frustrating to say the least that a silent install tries to create a window, but that's not Jazz's fault.

Any other ideas?

I believe the problem is you are not specifying the silent-install.ini or user-silent-install.ini with your command, which adds the -nosplash option (among others) to suppress the IM splash screen (as I recall that is needed in addition to -silent).

I highly recommend that you take a look at the README.txt file, which can be found in the README directory (under the subdirectory for your desired language -- e.g. en for english). Take a look at section 3.2 "Linux Installation - Command-Line Only". This includes detailed instructions on how to invoke the installation manager to silently install all of the various offerings associated with the product (client, server, ...).

Hope that helps!

-James
Jazz Team

permanent link
Sterling Bates (2311612) | answered Jul 16 '09, 5:38 p.m.
I believe the problem is you are not specifying the silent-install.ini or user-silent-install.ini with your command, which adds the -nosplash option (among others) to suppress the IM splash screen (as I recall that is needed in addition to -silent).

Thanks James, that worked just fine.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.