It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Automation: Multiple suite execution

Eric Briere (411213) | asked Jun 15 '11, 12:58 p.m.
Hi,

I want to run multiple test suites in parallel. The test cases of each suite are run in sequence. When I run each suite at different time, everything is fine. Some of the test cases in the two suites are using the same Functional tester adaptor.

My problem is that RQM does not seem to manage properly when an Adaptor is currently in use and triggers some test cases in parallel on the same machine (The functional tester gui is launched twice), instead of waiting for the current test case to complete before triggering the second one.

The other problem is that when this thing happens, the Functional Tester adaptor on the machine becomes in a weird state and needs to be restarted to make it work again.

What am I missing?

We are on 2.0.1.1 iFix 3.

Eric.

4 answers

permanent link
Kurtis Martin (1.4k11) | answered Jun 16 '11, 12:13 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
The RFT adapter was designed to only run one script at a time. Even if you have a single test suite that executes in parallel mode, or multiple serial mode test suites that you launch at the same time. In either scenario the RFT adapter should only be running one script at any moment in time, else it will cause the issue you described with the script interfering with each other.

Unfortunately the RFT adapter didn't behave the way it was intended, hence your issue. This was a bug with earlier versions of the RFT adapter and was fixed in RFT 8.2.0.2. You need to move to RFT 8.2.0.2 or higher, then only one script will run on the adapter at any moment in time.

Also RFT 8.2.0.2 is compatible with your RQM 2.0.1.1 iFix3 server, so you don't have to worry about upgrading RQM.

permanent link
Eric Briere (411213) | answered Jun 16 '11, 6:52 a.m.
The RFT adapter was designed to only run one script at a time. Even if you have a single test suite that executes in parallel mode, or multiple serial mode test suites that you launch at the same time. In either scenario the RFT adapter should only be running one script at any moment in time, else it will cause the issue you described with the script interfering with each other.

Unfortunately the RFT adapter didn't behave the way it was intended, hence your issue. This was a bug with earlier versions of the RFT adapter and was fixed in RFT 8.2.0.2. You need to move to RFT 8.2.0.2 or higher, then only one script will run on the adapter at any moment in time.

Also RFT 8.2.0.2 is compatible with your RQM 2.0.1.1 iFix3 server, so you don't have to worry about upgrading RQM.

Thanks for fast anwser. For my own understanding, is this RQM responsible to detect an adapter is busy or to the adaptor to queue the requests?

Eric

permanent link
Kurtis Martin (1.4k11) | answered Jun 16 '11, 7:48 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
RQM queues the request, it's the adapters responsibility to take task of the queue one by one. RQM doesn't know are assume if any particular adapter is designed to execute task one by one or execute task in parallel. For example, the AppScan adapter is designed to execute task in parallel, so it will take all of it's request off the queue at one time. RQM tries to avoid any code that specific to a particular type of adapter, so RQM just queues the request and lets the adapter determine how to process that queue.

permanent link
Ross Schoessler (41) | answered Jul 19 '11, 3:41 p.m.

I upgraded to 2.0.1.1 iFix 3 (for a different reason) and now our Execution Schedules will not run. We are running RFT 8.2.0.1. Is 8.2.0.1 compatible with RQM 2.0.1.1 iFix 3? Do we need to upgrade to 8.2.0.2 of RFT?

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.