It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

RRC 3.0.1 The editor could not be started - Firefox

Jon Walton (263) | asked May 31 '11, 9:08 a.m.
Hi,

I am having major problems trying to get the Browser Addons to work in Firefox.

Whenever I try to edit a diagram I get the following error:

The editor could not be started because the Editor Runtime Environment is not available. Uninstall the Browser Add-on Plug-in, restart the browser, and reinstall the plug-in to resolve the issue.

I have tried reinstalling the addons countless times, I have uninstalled Firefox and started from scratch, I have followed all of the instructions on the Wiki page that describes how to uninstall/install the add-ons, but nothing works.

It all works fine in Internet Explorer, but IE is too slow so I would prefer to use FF.

I am using version 3.6

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

11 answers

permanent link
Robin Bater (3.4k47) | answered May 31 '11, 9:18 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi,

I am having major problems trying to get the Browser Addons to work in Firefox.

Whenever I try to edit a diagram I get the following error:

The editor could not be started because the Editor Runtime Environment is not available. Uninstall the Browser Add-on Plug-in, restart the browser, and reinstall the plug-in to resolve the issue.

I have tried reinstalling the addons countless times, I have uninstalled Firefox and started from scratch, I have followed all of the instructions on the Wiki page that describes how to uninstall/install the add-ons, but nothing works.

It all works fine in Internet Explorer, but IE is too slow so I would prefer to use FF.

I am using version 3.6

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Hi Jon,

I assume you are using RRC V3.0.1 Release Candidate 3 and FF 3.6?

Open in FF the TOOLS>ADD ON menu and look for the RRC browser - if the add on is disabled then toggle it to enable.

Also to do a clean uninstall, delete the RRC browser add-on folder usually in the "adminstrator" document folders and check the control panel to see if the add-on is in the list of programs. Previous versions use the msi installer. If you see it in the list then uninstall.

Beyond this I don't know what to suggest.

permanent link
Jeffrey Neau (11112313) | answered Jun 01 '11, 10:38 p.m.
Hi Jon,

I had the exact same error. Problem was that I still had the old IM-based add-on installed (even though it wasn't showing up in the FF add-ons dialog). Had to go to Add/Remove Programs to get rid of it.

permanent link
Jon Walton (263) | answered Jun 16 '11, 6:19 a.m.
Hi Jon,

I had the exact same error. Problem was that I still had the old IM-based add-on installed (even though it wasn't showing up in the FF add-ons dialog). Had to go to Add/Remove Programs to get rid of it.

This is still a problem for me. I have completely uninstalled everything again including addons, jazz server etc and now installed the proper 3.0.1 GA release and it still doesn't work in FF.

This is extremely annoying and preventing me from demo'ing the tool properly.

Here is the error log from the plugin:

11:54:02 (P5208-T5212): INFO RRCXPluginAppFramework::getWorkspaceDir Workspace directory is: C:\Users\Administrator\IBM\RRCAddOn-3.0.1.0\ff\workspace
11:54:02 (P5208-T5900): INFO RRCXPluginAppFramework::lookupVMLibrary Looking up JVM Runtime Library
11:54:02 (P5208-T5900): INFO RRCXPluginAppFramework::getWorkspaceDir Workspace directory is: C:\Users\Administrator\IBM\RRCAddOn-3.0.1.0\ff\workspace
11:54:02 (P5208-T5900): INFO RRCXPluginAppFramework::lookupVMLibrary Found JVM dll: C:\Users\Administrator\IBM\RRCAddOn-3.0.1.0\jre\bin\j9vm\jvm.dll
11:54:02 (P5208-T5900): ERR RRCXPluginAppFramework::createVM Unable to load the JVM Runtime Library path, rc=126. Exiting.
11:54:02 (P5208-T5900): ERR JavaManagerThread::run Failed to start the JVM Runtime Library. Exiting.
11:54:15 (P5208-T5212): ERR RRCXPluginJavaApp::destroyShell Application not running. No shell to destroy.
11:54:15 (P5208-T5212): ERR RRCXPluginJavaApp::openResourceURL Error starting the plugin runtime environment: osgiFailedToStart. Aborting.

permanent link
David Doughty (1812219) | answered Jul 18 '11, 7:56 a.m.
hi, this is exactly the same error that I'm getting?

Did you manage to resolve your problem?

If so can you share the resolution?

uninstalled all plugin versions, still cant get the editor to work.....

permanent link
Jon Walton (263) | answered Jul 18 '11, 7:59 a.m.

No luck I'm afraid.

permanent link
David Doughty (1812219) | answered Jul 18 '11, 8:08 a.m.

No luck I'm afraid.

ok, we're working on this with IBM support at the moment, I was hoping to circumvent a protracted discussion, but I'll post any findings we make.

permanent link
David Doughty (1812219) | answered Jul 18 '11, 12:47 p.m.

No luck I'm afraid.

ok, we're working on this with IBM support at the moment, I was hoping to circumvent a protracted discussion, but I'll post any findings we make.

ok, I got this working. However, I'm not sure what really solved the problem....

1) uninstall all JRE/JDK installations
2) uninstall Firefox
3) reinstall JDK (I used 1.6_18 for convenience)
4) ensure that JAVA_HOME, JRE_HOME, and PATH variables are set
5) reinstall ff (3.6.13 is what I had hanging around)
6) install browser plugin
7) edit artefact, had a plugin stopped responding initially, but subseqently worked fine....

I have another desktop install that doesnt work, I will try to validate on that. I've also got a handfull of users in HK who have similar issues, now we have some thoughts they might be able to narrow this down somewhat when they start tomorrow....

permanent link
David Doughty (1812219) | answered Jul 19 '11, 3:41 a.m.

No luck I'm afraid.

ok, I got this working. However, I'm not sure what really solved the problem....

1) uninstall all JRE/JDK installations
2) uninstall Firefox
3) reinstall JDK (I used 1.6_18 for convenience)
4) ensure that JAVA_HOME, JRE_HOME, and PATH variables are set
5) reinstall ff (3.6.13 is what I had hanging around)
6) install browser plugin
7) edit artefact, had a plugin stopped responding initially, but subseqently worked fine....

I have another desktop install that doesnt work, I will try to validate on that. I've also got a handfull of users in HK who have similar issues, now we have some thoughts they might be able to narrow this down somewhat when they start tomorrow....

That all seems to be mostly erroneous, if you get the plugin deployed correctly, it runs its own JRE, in fact the plugin is supposed to deploy a whole heap of stuff under C:\Documents and Settings\<user>\IBM\RRCAddOn-3.0.1.0, including

\ff
\ie
\osgi
\jre

all I was getting previously was C:\Documents and Settings\<user>\IBM\RRCAddOn-3.0.1.0\ff\workspace\.metadata, so no wonder the plugin wasnt working, its not deploying, so my guess is that there is a problem with some versions of firefox....

btw - my favourite vendor supplied software has to be "Directory of C:\Documents and Settings\<user>\IBM\RRCAddOn-3.0.1.0\osgi\plugins\org.apache.commons.logging_1.0.5.hack"

permanent link
David Doughty (1812219) | answered Jul 21 '11, 3:26 a.m.
Rational support have also provided the plugin to deploy manually, so if there is something blocking the deployment happending fully automatically through FF/download, then this can also be deployed by the user from the client....

You will need to talk to IBM Support to get the plugin....

permanent link
Andy Phillipson (10431418) | answered Aug 24 '11, 10:05 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Rational support have also provided the plugin to deploy manually, so if there is something blocking the deployment happending fully automatically through FF/download, then this can also be deployed by the user from the client....

You will need to talk to IBM Support to get the plugin....

I had the exact same problem as reported by the OP. I was able to get the FF plugin working by installing the plugin on IE (that worked without incident) and copying the plugin installation from the IE install location to the FF install location.

I did this:
0. Close all browsers.
1. Navigate to the plugin installation directory (C:\Documents and Settings\<user>\IBM\RRCAddOn-3.0.1.0, yours may vary on Win7).
2. Copy the whole content of the ie subdirectory into the ff subdirectory
3. Start FF and the editor loads fine.

There is definitely some kind of problem with the plugin installation for FF.

Hope this helps someone else.

-Andy

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.