It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Transfer from multiple project area to one project area- ReqIF Best way?

Shirley Jhirad (514251) | asked Mar 06 '13, 9:18 a.m.
Hi,

I'm in the process of transferring from several RRC project areas (for each product) to one project area for all products (where the products artifacts will be divided by folders).
Each project area had  data on it and the structure of each project area is the same (same types, same folder structure, same attributes).

I wanted to use ReqIf to do the transfer and unite all the different area's artifacts. But I had an issue with this as it multiplied all attributes and datatypes- although they are the same!!

I'm not sure what else can I do the transfer data from the different areas.
I thought that perhaps i can open the Reqifz file as zip and try and edit the xml - manually change the id's for each datatype\attribute to force it to use the same attributes and datatypes.

I'll be happy to hear opinions on this asap, or perhaps a different way to do this?

Thanks
Shirley

One answer

permanent link
Robin Bater (3.4k47) | answered Mar 06 '13, 9:39 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi Shirley,

With V4.0.1, I believe that ReqIF is your best option but as you have found

https://jazz.net/help-dev/clm/index.jsp?re=1&topic=/com.ibm.rational.rrm.help.doc/topics/r_reqif_format.html

A ReqIF import only merges system-defined attributes and types. All other artifact types, attributes, data types, and folders are created in the project you are importing to if they have not been previously imported from a ReqIF file. For example, if you have a Priority attribute in the ReqIF file, and the current project already has a Priority attribute, the import creates another attribute that is named Priority2 .

This does require updating the imported artifacts to the required artifact type. Now with the grid view you can do this 50 artifacts at a time by selecting the artifacts and changing the artifact type, via the attributes sub-menu but it is time consuming.  Once all imported artifacts are in the project then you will need to delete the duplicate artifact, attribute and data types.

Comments
Shirley Jhirad commented Mar 06 '13, 9:49 a.m.

It Is a time consuming indeed. What do you think about changing the XML idea before export?

Robin Bater commented Mar 06 '13, 10:02 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

First please see this enhancement request, you might want to add a comment

https://jazz.net/jazz03/web/projects/Requirements%20Management#action=com.ibm.team.workitem.viewWorkItem&id=60295

Secondly it might work but probably error prone, you would have to export a ReqIF package from your Unified Project to capture all of the IDs, then in every other project, you would export ReqIF and then have to find and replace the hundreds of IDs.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.