It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Cannot share project - lock conflict across two workspaces

John Reysa (8876) | asked Apr 13 '11, 3:49 p.m.
In RTC 2.0.2 I could not share a project to a new component in a new stream. There was no info in the jazz.log. The client .log file had the following complaint:
!MESSAGE Failed to upload File /project1/com.ibm.project1.ui/bin/.project 

Caused by: java.io.FileNotFoundException: /local/reysa/workspaces/project1/com.ibm.project1/ui/bin/.project (No such file or directory)

Not only that, but it completely erased all the files from my sandbox.

It turns out I had two workspaces:
/local/reysa/workspaces/project1
/local/reysa/workspaces/project2
I also had two different versions of eclipse running on separate workspaces. However, RTC puts a .jazz5 directory at one level ABOVE the workspace (/local/reysa/workspaces/.jazz5). I deleted the .jazz5 directory and took down both versions of eclipse. When I started a single version of eclipse, everything worked fine and I could share a project.

Question: why is this .jazz5 directory outside the workspace? Is there a way to locate it in the workspace?

3 answers

permanent link
Tim Mok (6.6k38) | answered Apr 13 '11, 4:51 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
In RTC 2.0.2 I could not share a project to a new component in a new stream. There was no info in the jazz.log. The client .log file had the following complaint:
!MESSAGE Failed to upload File /project1/com.ibm.project1.ui/bin/.project 

Caused by: java.io.FileNotFoundException: /local/reysa/workspaces/project1/com.ibm.project1/ui/bin/.project (No such file or directory)

Not only that, but it completely erased all the files from my sandbox.

It turns out I had two workspaces:
/local/reysa/workspaces/project1
/local/reysa/workspaces/project2
I also had two different versions of eclipse running on separate workspaces. However, RTC puts a .jazz5 directory at one level ABOVE the workspace (/local/reysa/workspaces/.jazz5). I deleted the .jazz5 directory and took down both versions of eclipse. When I started a single version of eclipse, everything worked fine and I could share a project.

Question: why is this .jazz5 directory outside the workspace? Is there a way to locate it in the workspace?

It looks like you have one workspace if the .jazz5 directory is in /local/reysa/workspaces. The .jazz5 directory is always created in the root of the workspace.

If you've used /local/reysa/workspaces as a workspace for connecting projects to RTC before that would have created the .jazz5 directory. I'm not quite sure what is going on with your workspace setup. Have you ever created a workspace in /local/reysa/workspaces and then tried to create workspaces in /local/reysa/workspaces/project1 and /local/reysa/workspaces/project2?

permanent link
John Reysa (8876) | answered Apr 14 '11, 8:19 a.m.
Have you ever created a workspace in /local/reysa/workspaces and then tried to create workspaces in /local/reysa/workspaces/project1 and /local/reysa/workspaces/project2?

Yes, by mistake quite a while ago. Then I ended up manually deleting files out of there ... I was not aware of the .jazz5 file when I did that. So are you saying if I moved to /local/reysa/workspaces/project1, it would still use the /local/reysa/workspaces/.jazz5 file if it existed?

permanent link
Tim Mok (6.6k38) | answered Apr 14 '11, 8:46 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Have you ever created a workspace in /local/reysa/workspaces and then tried to create workspaces in /local/reysa/workspaces/project1 and /local/reysa/workspaces/project2?

Yes, by mistake quite a while ago. Then I ended up manually deleting files out of there ... I was not aware of the .jazz5 file when I did that. So are you saying if I moved to /local/reysa/workspaces/project1, it would still use the /local/reysa/workspaces/.jazz5 file if it existed?I'm not sure if that's the cause. I don't think the .jazz5 directory there would affect anything.

Another thing is the error says it failed to find the .project file in the /bin directory of the project. Eclipse sets up its projects by putting compiled files in the /bin directory so I don't see why the .project file would be in there. It seems like your workspace has been mixed up with files in the wrong places (or it's looking in the wrong place) and it is causing errors.

You may want to start a new Eclipse workspace and import the projects from the old location.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.