It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Query results have maximum?

Phillip Piper (15812524) | asked Jul 26 '11, 10:02 p.m.
As part of a migration of an existing 3.0 iFix 1 server to another 3.0.1 server, we are looking at exporting work items to move existing data from one to the other. This process requires the use of a query. Basically, we want to move all or almost all of the work items so I defined an empty query which should return all.

However, it appears that a query can only return a maximum of a 1000 results? Or is this just in the web interface? I am aware that I could create multiple queries using specific ranges of IDs but I wanted to check to see if this is a correct assumption on my part?

Also, is it correct that queries run within a project area scope? My understanding is that project areas really are the maximum scope of most things. You can't query things server wide across project areas, correct?

Thanks in advance.

9 answers

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered Jul 27 '11, 2:57 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi Phillip,

I know that queries have a threshold in the Eclipse client, you can change.

They also have a threshold in the Web UI apparently that you can also change using the RTC/CCM application's advanced property "Maximum Query Result Set Size" in the section "WorkItem Queries"

Queries are today only in the context of a project, so you would have to export for every project. There are several work items to get cross project queries.

permanent link
Phillip Piper (15812524) | answered Jul 27 '11, 11:28 a.m.
Hi Phillip,

They also have a threshold in the Web UI apparently that you can also change using the RTC/CCM application's advanced property "Maximum Query Result Set Size" in the section "WorkItem Queries"

Queries are today only in the context of a project, so you would have to export for every project. There are several work items to get cross project queries.

Thanks. I couldn't find the threshold in the Eclipse client or by searching the Infocenter for v3.0. I am not sure I wanted to touch the property in the Web UI so I left that alone. I was also able to workaround by splitting my queries to get results in chunks. If anyone can point me to the setting in the Eclipse client for future reference that would be appreciated.

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered Jul 27 '11, 11:52 a.m.
Hi Phillip,

Thanks. I couldn't find the threshold in the Eclipse client or by searching the Infocenter for v3.0. I am not sure I wanted to touch the property in the Web UI so I left that alone. I was also able to workaround by splitting my queries to get results in chunks. If anyone can point me to the setting in the Eclipse client for future reference that would be appreciated.

Hmmm, just looked at it again and apparently confused the threshold in the work item query view with the console. I thought it was in the preferences of the view (upside down white triangle in the left upper view menu) but I don't see a threshold there. If it was there at all in older versions it seems to be gone in 3.x. Either the query it retrieves all data (I got more than 1000 results) or it uses the setting on the server.

permanent link
Phillip Piper (15812524) | answered Jul 28 '11, 11:06 p.m.
Hi Phillip,

Hmmm, just looked at it again and apparently confused the threshold in the work item query view with the console. I thought it was in the preferences of the view (upside down white triangle in the left upper view menu) but I don't see a threshold there. If it was there at all in older versions it seems to be gone in 3.x. Either the query it retrieves all data (I got more than 1000 results) or it uses the setting on the server.

Thanks Ralph. That server setting worked like a charm. I appreciate the help.

permanent link
Thomas Loeber (62237850) | answered Nov 29 '11, 9:16 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
I know I can set the Query Result Set Size for Work Item Queries from the CCM Admin Page WebUI. The default is 1000.
But If we leave the default value at 1000, can you have the Eclipse or Web Client fetch the next 1000?

permanent link
Thomas Loeber (62237850) | answered Dec 01 '11, 8:30 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
I know I can set the Query Result Set Size for Work Item Queries from the CCM Admin Page WebUI. The default is 1000.
But If we leave the default value at 1000, can you have the Eclipse or Web Client fetch the next 1000?

Is there a way to have the WebUI or Eclipse UI fetch the next set of 1000 records under these circumstances?

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered Jan 13 '12, 8:19 a.m.
Thomas, there is an advanced attribute in the server configuration that you can change. Other than that the user is not able to increase the size. API calls can do that though.

permanent link
Thomas Loeber (62237850) | answered Jan 13 '12, 9:18 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Thomas, there is an advanced attribute in the server configuration that you can change. Other than that the user is not able to increase the size. API calls can do that though.

Thanks Ralph. I'm aware of the advanced properties in the CCM application admin page to increase the query results limit. But what if this limit isn't changed? If I run a query where the actual result set could be more than 1000 the client still only displays 1000. Is there no way to ask the process to fetch more.

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered Jan 13 '12, 9:48 a.m.
I'm aware of the advanced properties in the CCM application admin page to increase the query results limit. But what if this limit isn't changed? If I run a query where the actual result set could be more than 1000 the client still only displays 1000. Is there no way to ask the process to fetch more.

Hi Thomas, this came up today, that is why I sent the reply to you.

As far as I have been told, there is no way for the user to retrieve more than the number of work items that is set in the threshold using the User Interface. The background is to protect the server from being blocked by huge queries. The only option the user would have is to somehow split the one query in pieces that return just below the threshold. E.g. using date ranges.

Using the Plain Java Client Library API allows to retrieve more data. It is possible to specify the result size in OSLC too, but I am not sure what happens at the threshold.

Comments
Kevin Ramer commented Jul 16 '13, 11:07 a.m.

OSLC is used by the JTS ETL; I've seen it have offsets well above the configured maximum. 

[ comment added simply because a user questioned the "Maximum Query Result Set Size" and searching lead to this thread ]

Bryan Miller - Integration Developer commented Oct 22 '13, 11:35 a.m. | edited Oct 22 '13, 11:35 a.m.

Kevin,  if I understand your comment correctly, I can set the Maximum Query Result Set Size in my OSLC code and it will take precedence over the setting on the RTC Admin Console.

I am familiar with the OSLC Resource Paging functionality however I cannot find where to set the
Maximum Query Result Set Size in the OSLC spec.  Please advise.

Cheers!

-Bryan

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.