It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Fail Policy on State Transition

andrew opat (1666) | asked Apr 07 '11, 1:51 a.m.
I am using RAM 7.5.

I do not seem to be able to associate a policy with a lifecycle state transition; only an actual state.

Should I be able to associate a policy with a state transition?

I was hoping that if the policy failed, I could prevent the state change. Is there anyway to do this?

If not, is it possible to determine the old state, so that the asset can be updated back to the old state?

2 answers

permanent link
Sheehan Anderson (1.2k4) | answered Apr 11 '11, 12:47 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Yes, what you want to accomplish, preventing a state change on a failed policy, is possible.

Assuming your states are Submitted and Approved with a Publish transition between the Submitted and Approved states the instructions are as follows.

1) Add the policy to the Submitted state. The policy must run on 'Action' but you may also want to check the 'Asset Save' and 'Entrance to state' checkboxes so you can see the result before you perform an action.

2) From the dropdown or lifecycle diagram, select the Publish transition. On the right side of the screen you will see a dropdown with a green plus image next to it. Choose AND from the dropdown and click the green plus. A new row should appear. From the dropdown on the left side of the new row choose the policy you just added. Now select 'is' and 'Approve' from the next two dropdowns.

It's now only possible to change the state from Submitted to Approved if the policy passes.

permanent link
andrew opat (1666) | answered Apr 11 '11, 7:48 p.m.
Great. Thanks for that. I had been putting the policies on the target state. Now that I put them on the origin state, I can see the policy as a condition for the transition.

Yes, what you want to accomplish, preventing a state change on a failed policy, is possible.

Assuming your states are Submitted and Approved with a Publish transition between the Submitted and Approved states the instructions are as follows.

1) Add the policy to the Submitted state. The policy must run on 'Action' but you may also want to check the 'Asset Save' and 'Entrance to state' checkboxes so you can see the result before you perform an action.

2) From the dropdown or lifecycle diagram, select the Publish transition. On the right side of the screen you will see a dropdown with a green plus image next to it. Choose AND from the dropdown and click the green plus. A new row should appear. From the dropdown on the left side of the new row choose the policy you just added. Now select 'is' and 'Approve' from the next two dropdowns.

It's now only possible to change the state from Submitted to Approved if the policy passes.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.