It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

task creation behaviour in web client

Robin Parker (32633738) | asked Mar 03 '11, 4:47 a.m.
In the eclipse client, I can open a work item,
go to the links tab,
Choose Add,
Select Add Children,
Click on the Create Work Item link at the bottom,
and then choose which work item type to create as a child of the current work item.

In the Web client (and I'm using the vanilla formal process in case that matters) I open a work item,
choose the links tab,
click the Add drop down list and choose Children,
then the link at the bottom is now Create Linked Defect and I seem unable to create any other work item type from here.
The only way to add a non-defect child to this record is to create the work item first and then link it in a separate operation.

Why is the behaviour different? How do I create a child task directly from an existing work item?

Many Thanks,

Robin

2 answers

permanent link
Wagner Arnaut (1162714) | answered Oct 26 '11, 12:39 p.m.
I am facing the same problem. Does anybody have any suggestion?

Wagner Arnaut

permanent link
Scott Crouch (48532326) | answered Oct 26 '11, 3:27 p.m.
I agree it is confusing. But you can just click that link to create a linked defect, and then once the defect editor opens change the type to whatever type you want it to be. Not sure if this is an acceptable workaround?

In the eclipse client, I can open a work item,
go to the links tab,
Choose Add,
Select Add Children,
Click on the Create Work Item link at the bottom,
and then choose which work item type to create as a child of the current work item.

In the Web client (and I'm using the vanilla formal process in case that matters) I open a work item,
choose the links tab,
click the Add drop down list and choose Children,
then the link at the bottom is now Create Linked Defect and I seem unable to create any other work item type from here.
The only way to add a non-defect child to this record is to create the work item first and then link it in a separate operation.

Why is the behaviour different? How do I create a child task directly from an existing work item?

Many Thanks,

Robin

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.